This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8813 / 54°52'52"N
Longitude: -2.9413 / 2°56'28"W
OS Eastings: 339704
OS Northings: 554469
OS Grid: NY397544
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXZ.0Z
Mapcode Global: WH802.SKKR
Entry Name: Offices of North West Water Ltd (Former Factory)
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386590
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Denton Holme
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3954 HOLME HEAD
671-1/15/180 Offices of North West Water Ltd
13/11/72 (former factory)
(Formerly Listed as:
Weaving shed on river bank at Holme
Former cotton factory, including beetling and dampening rooms,
now water company offices. 1850s; repaired 1864, further late
C19 and early C20 additions, for Ferguson Brothers. English
garden wall bond brickwork on chamfered plinth (all dressings
of red sandstone) and stone-bracketed metal gutter. Hipped
double-span slate roof with extensive skylights.
Original building was 2 storeys, 9 bays, increased to 13 bays
and an extra storey added in 2 phases. Main facade faces the
river; regularly-spaced casement windows with glazing bars,
the ground-floor windows boarded over, each with a sandstone
sill within brick reveals and with flat brick arches. One of
the top windows has a round vent. Projecting from lower storey
polished granite drinking fountain dated 1870 (now damaged).
Similar 5-bay returns. INTERIOR not inspected.
This building does not appear on drawing of the factory c1854,
but was there in 1863 when it was damaged by floods; plans for
its repair are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/880 and
5908. The fountain date may signify the extension to 13 bays
and the different coloured brickwork shows that the upper
storey was added after the extension; photographs show that
the right 6 bays were raised before 1907 and the left 7 bays
were raised by 1920.
Listing NGR: NY3970454469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings