This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2081 / 51°12'29"N
Longitude: -4.1232 / 4°7'23"W
OS Eastings: 251784
OS Northings: 147570
OS Grid: SS517475
Mapcode National: GBR KN.419P
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.HW3S
Entry Name: Baptist Church church Hall
Listing Date: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390222
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 HIGH STREET
853-1/6/83 (South side)
Includes: Church Hall SPRINGFIELD ROAD.
Baptist Church and Church Hall (originally the schoolroom).
1891 by WH Gould of Ilfracombe.
MATERIALS: Church fronted with pinkish, squared Combe Martin
stone with dressings of Bath stone; minor detail in polished
red granite. Church Hall of rougher local stone rubble with
dressings of limestone (much of it painted) at the front, and
of red brick at the back. Asbestos slated roofs.
PLAN: deep, narrow-fronted plan, apparently with side aisles.
Church Hall abuts left-hand side, at rear end.
EXTERIOR: Gabled 2-stage front in austere Perpendicular style,
its most striking feature an octagonal limestone pinnacle at
In centre of lower stage is a doorway approached by a flight
of bowed steps; the doorway has a pointed arch springing from
polished granite columns, the spandrels carved with foliage.
At either side is a 2-light window with pointed arch, and
above it a similar, taller window of 5 lights. Memorial stone
dated 26 March 1891.
Long ranges of wooden clerestorey windows in side walls, those
on right-hand side with pointed arches.
Church Hall is 6-windows-wide with Norman-style doorway,
re-used from the former chapel, at right-hand end; above it is
a round-arched window set under a gable. To left of doorway
are 5 more tall, round-arched windows with 5 flat-headed
windows above. Memorial stone dated 26 March 1891.
INTERIORS not inspected, but in 1891 the Ilfracombe Gazette
mentioned the marble baptistery in front of the preaching
rostrum, and the organ by Messrs Vowles of Bristol. In 1937
Allen T Hussell commented on the open hammerbeam roof.
(North Devon D.C. Planning Department: Book 2 (microfilm):
Ilfracombe Local Board of Health Planning Register 6.1.1891;
Planning File on microfilm (not checked); Ilfracombe Gazette,
Arrival List and General Advertiser; Hussell AT: Ilfracombe
Chronicle, 25.6.1937: 2).
Listing NGR: SS5178447570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings