History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cumbria College of Art and Design Homeacres

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9055 / 54°54'19"N

Longitude: -2.9318 / 2°55'54"W

OS Eastings: 340348

OS Northings: 557153

OS Grid: NY403571

Mapcode National: GBR 7CZQ.29

Mapcode Global: WH7ZW.YY1Q

Entry Name: Cumbria College of Art and Design Homeacres

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386635

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Stanwix Urban

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle Stanwix St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY4057SW BRAMPTON ROAD
671-1/4/58 (North side)
Cumbria College of Art and Design -
Homeacres

GV II

House now part of college. Late 1840s or early 1850s. Incised
cement render on squared plinth with raised quoins (dressings
of calciferous sandstone), sill band and dentilled wooden
cornice. Graduated greenslate roof, partly hipped; cement
rendered ridge and rear chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 4 bays with 3-bay left return, double-depth plan
with cross-wing to right. Storeyed wing is gabled with a
canted bay window. Left bays have a right panelled door with
overlight and side lights in stone surround. Sash windows with
original margin glazing bars in plain reveals. Between floors
is a stone balcony on large stone brackets with wrought-iron
balusters and handrail. Right and rear C20 extensions.
INTERIOR has panelled doors in panelled reveals and some
panelled shutters. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices and some
central roundels in principal rooms. Cantilever stone
staircase has scrolled cast-iron balusters and moulded
mahogony handrail; glazed stair cupola has ribbed plaster
vault on console bracketed cornice.
HISTORY: When built this was called The Villa and is marked as
such on the 1865 OS map; later it was known as Stanwix Villa.
JD Carr lived here between 1845 and 1854, and it may have been
built for him. It appears the name was changed by James Morton
when he came to live here in 1900, see Jocelyn Morton (1971).
It was compulsorily purchased by the City Council in 1949, see
Carlisle Journal, (1949) and it became the College of Art in
1951.
(Morton, Jocelyn: Three Generations in a Family Textile Firm:
1971-: P.134 & P.201; Carlisle Journal: 18 November 1949:
P.5).


Listing NGR: NY4033757219

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.