History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stone Coffin Approximately 12 Metres South of Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Heysham, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0473 / 54°2'50"N

Longitude: -2.9018 / 2°54'6"W

OS Eastings: 341049

OS Northings: 461635

OS Grid: SD410616

Mapcode National: GBR 8P5M.KX

Mapcode Global: WH845.DJFM

Entry Name: Stone Coffin Approximately 12 Metres South of Parish Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 6 April 1979

Last Amended: 20 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391839

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA3

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Heysham Central

Built-Up Area: Heysham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Heysham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Heysham

Listing Text


MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD4161 MAIN STREET, Heysham
939-1/7/23 (West side (off))
06/04/79 Stone coffin approx 12m S of Parish
Church of St Peter
(Formerly Listed as:
MAIN STREET
Stone coffin to south of Parish
Church of St Peter)

GV II

Coffin. Medieval. Sandstone. Roughly hewn, with recess for
head carved out internally. Discovered, containing a body and
the remains of a chalice, under the south window of the
chancel during restoration work in 1864. The chalice is now on
display inside the church.


Listing NGR: SD4104961635

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD4161 MAIN STREET, Heysham
939-1/7/23 (West side (off))
06/04/79 Stone coffin approx 12m S of Parish
Church of St Peter
(Formerly Listed as:
MAIN STREET
Stone coffin to south of Parish
Church of St Peter)

GV II

Coffin. Medieval. Sandstone. Roughly hewn, with recess for
head carved out internally. Discovered, containing a body and
the remains of a chalice, under the south window of the
chancel during restoration work in 1864. The chalice is now on
display inside the church.


Listing NGR: SD4104961635

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.