This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1262 / 54°7'34"N
Longitude: -3.2258 / 3°13'32"W
OS Eastings: 319990
OS Northings: 470734
OS Grid: SD199707
Mapcode National: GBR 5NXQ.FM
Mapcode Global: WH72H.FK44
Entry Name: Borough Cemetery Gate House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388437
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Ormsgill
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD17SE DEVONSHIRE ROAD
708-1/3/41 (North side)
Borough Cemetery gatehouse and
Cemetery gatehouse with attached railings. Dated 1874. By
Paley and Austin (plan), altered. Coursed limestone with red
sandstone dressings, graduated slate roof.
2-storey, 3-bay centre with 1-storey, 2-window office in side
wing on left and 2-storey lodge on right of same width but
with wing to rear; attached railings are set in quadrants to
each side and return to line pavement.
Romanesque. Chamfered plinth, quoins. Tall central carriage
arch recessed between pedestrian side gates: each opening has
keeled arches of 2 orders linked by impost string course;
original iron gates. 2 bands and 1st floor sill band beneath
blind arcading with taller central window; outer bays have
larger windows in 2-order arches. Band beneath parapet with
triangular copings built up in 2 courses.
Hipped roof with a multiple-flue ashlar stack to each end;
terracotta ridge cresting. Office wing on left: buttress
against left return; paired windows with colonnettes and
impost string course; coped end gable. Lodge on right: similar
but taller, no 1st floor windows to front.
Rear: 2 dated rain-water heads; office has shallow, canted
bay-window. Ribbed vaulting within the archway, 2-bay arcades
and barrel vaults to each side. Railings: panels are fixed
between sandstone piers rising from dwarf walls; the railings
have square bars, twin top rails and finials of 2 heights.
Surviving drawings dated November 1873 show a central bell
tower with spire; this and some other architectural details
(shafts, mouldings) have since been removed.
(Building Plans Register: 1873-: NO.520).
Listing NGR: SD1999070734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings