History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Cemetery Chapel at Borough Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in Ormsgill, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1321 / 54°7'55"N

Longitude: -3.2266 / 3°13'35"W

OS Eastings: 319948

OS Northings: 471395

OS Grid: SD199713

Mapcode National: GBR 5NXN.7H

Mapcode Global: WH72H.DDRK

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Cemetery Chapel at Borough Cemetery

Listing Date: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209845

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388441

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Ormsgill

Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barrow in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD17SE DEVONSHIRE ROAD
708-1/3/45 (North side (off))
Roman Catholic cemetery chapel at
Borough Cemetery

II

Cemetery chapel now store. Dated 1872. Probably by Paley and
Austin. Irregular limestone walling with red sandstone
dressings, graduated slate roof. Cruciform plan with crossing
tower; Romanesque. Chamfered plinth; quoined angle buttresses.
Entrance in west gable has double doors with decorative iron
hinges in 3-order arch with colonnettes and zig-zag ornament;
impost string course rises as hoodmould; window over also has
zig-zag. Windows to each return are set on continuous string
courses and linked by impost bands. Transepts have tall
central light flanked by pairs of blind windows with
colonnette mullions. East window of 3 lights, the central
light taller with hoodmould carried over the side lights as a
string course. Lobed eaves band; chamfered gable copings with
apex cross at east end and twin flue stack rising from south
transept; terracotta ridge cresting. Crossing tower rises from
square base to become octagonal and has leaded window in each
side and columns at the angles; carved corbel table and lobed
band at eaves of steep hipped roof with finial. INTERIOR:
red/blue floor tiles; yellow brick wall lining. Crossing has
semi-circular responds with carved capitals to arches with
nailhead ornament.


Listing NGR: SD1999070734

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.