This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0499 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.8035 / 2°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 347492
OS Northings: 461848
OS Grid: SD474618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.VZ
Mapcode Global: WH846.XG6M
Entry Name: 1a Castle Hill
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383121
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/09/2014
(Formerly listed as No. 85 CHURCH STREET)
House, now offices. Late C18. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roof and gable chimney stacks. Double-depth plan with the doorway in the right-hand bay. 3 storeys, above a basement expressed as a plinth, and 3 bays with raised quoins and an eaves cornice. The doorway has a moulded architrave, with a frieze inscribed 'GILLOW & Co' and a simple cornice on fluted consoles. The door is approached up 3 recessed steps and is of 5 panels which, apart from the upper one, are raised and fielded. All the house windows have plain raised surrounds and are sashed with glazing bars, giving 12 panes on the ground and first floors and 9 on the second. The basement plinth is painted and contains 2 openings which were probably originally shuttered but which now contain glass bricks.
HISTORY: during much of the C19 (until 1887) this was the office of the Gillow & Co, next door to its warehouse at No.1 Castle Hill (qv).
Listing NGR: SD4749261848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings