This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0484 / 54°2'54"N
Longitude: -2.7978 / 2°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 347864
OS Northings: 461678
OS Grid: SD478616
Mapcode National: GBR 8PXM.2H
Mapcode Global: WH847.0H0R
Entry Name: 1, Dalton Square
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210398
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383128
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE DALTON SQUARE
1685-1/7/97 (North side)
House, now a dental surgery. c1799, altered C19. Sandstone
ashlar with ashlar dressings, and a slate roof with 2 chimney
stacks. Narrow double-depth plan with the doorway on the left.
3 storeys above a cellar, and 2 bays with an eaves cornice.
(The facade appears to have 3 bays, because the return wall of
No.13 Great John Street (qv) to the left forms part of the
total composition.) All the openings have plain reveals. The
doorway and the ground-floor window (which has been widened to
the left) are protected by a cornice carried on 4 consoles.
The door is 8-panelled and has an overlight with margin panes,
a motif copied in the steel-framed ground-floor window. All
the other windows are sashed without glazing bars.
HISTORY: Dalton Square was laid out as part of the development
of the Friarage Estate from about 1784 onwards and Edward
Batty is named on plans which accompany some of the leases.
Listing NGR: SD4786461678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings