This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0489 / 54°2'56"N
Longitude: -2.8009 / 2°48'3"W
OS Eastings: 347658
OS Northings: 461733
OS Grid: SD476617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.DB
Mapcode Global: WH846.YHDD
Entry Name: Blue Anchor Public House
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383194
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE MARKET STREET
1685-1/7/160 (North side)
Blue Anchor Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Blue Anchor Inn)
Houses, now a public house. Early C18, altered C19 and
restored c1990. Painted roughcast over sandstone rubble, with
painted ashlar dressings. Slate roof with chimney stacks above
the party walls.
3 storeys above cellars. The facade facing west is of 3 bays
with sashed windows in painted stone surrounds. The
ground-floor openings are a restoration in painted concrete.
In the 3rd bay there is a doorway, with a 2nd doorway to its
left. Main entrance under the opening to Anchor Lane at right
angles to left. Above this, one window on each floor. Above
the archway at rear of opening a glazing bar sash window on
the 1st floor, and a 2-light window with a flat-faced mullion
above. The rear elevation to Lawson's Yard has several 2-light
mullioned windows with square flush mullions, and a
cross-window to light the stairs. Lawson's Yard is now glazed
over and gives access to No.22 Market Street and the building
to the rear (qv), which now partly form an annexe to the Blue
INTERIOR: the bar to the right of the entrance is a
scaled-down replica of the hull of the Lancaster privateer
'Thetis' which under Captain John Charnley fought off an
attack by the much larger French warship 'Bonaparte' off
Barbados in 1804. Beyond this a closed string staircase with 2
turned balusters per tread and a ramped handrail.
HISTORY: the Blue Anchor is said to have been a public house
in 1725, when the licensee was Robert Armstrong.
Listing NGR: SD4765861733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings