History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

39, 39a and 40, Greengate Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Stafford, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8055 / 52°48'19"N

Longitude: -2.1167 / 2°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 392229

OS Northings: 323116

OS Grid: SJ922231

Mapcode National: GBR 16X.5N9

Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GR82

Entry Name: 39, 39a and 40, Greengate Street

Listing Date: 16 January 1951

Last Amended: 16 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383987

Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Town: Stafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Forebridge

Built-Up Area: Stafford

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stafford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stafford

Listing Text


STAFFORD

SJ9223SW GREENGATE STREET
590-1/10/45 (West side)
16/01/51 Nos.39, 39A AND 40
(Formerly Listed as:
GREENGATE STREET
(West side)
Nos.39 AND 40)

GV II

Two houses, now shop and office. Mid C18 with early C19 and
later alterations. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with
coped gable and brick end and cross-axial stack. Early
Georgian style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 9-window range. Platt band
over ground floor and top cornice; quoins. 2 early C20
shopfronts; round-headed entrance to right end has early C19
doorcase with archivolt, pilaster strips, frieze and pediment;
fanlight over 6-panel door. 1st floor has windows with rubbed
brick flat arches and ashlar keys over 9/6-pane sashes in
moulded frames to 5 windows to left, 4 windows to right have
2-panel horned sashes; 3rd window from each end has eared and
shouldered architrave with key and moulded sill on blocks; 4
pedimented dormers with small-paned casements. 2 rainwater
heads with cherubs in round arches, and square downspouts to
1st floor only. Rear has gabled wing and early C19 gabled
range to left, with 2 gables to end with windows in
architraves, friezes and pediments; return has windows with
small-paned casements with intersecting glazing bars.
INTERIOR: 1820s detailing; stair with slender balusters and
wreathed handrail; room to rear with rich plaster cornice and
marble fireplace; 2 lamp brackets to 1st floor corridor; left
end has early C18 open well stair to 1st floor up, with spiral
balusters, moulded and ramped handrail, cut string with
moulded tread ends and bolection-moulded dado panelling; 3
contemporary 6-fielded-panel doors. Ground floor originally
had 2 entrances with eared architraves and signs remain of
keys to windows.
(County Planning Department Photographic Collection).


Listing NGR: SJ9222823120

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.