History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 and 6, Queen Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0463 / 54°2'46"N

Longitude: -2.8017 / 2°48'6"W

OS Eastings: 347602

OS Northings: 461449

OS Grid: SD476614

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWN.77

Mapcode Global: WH846.YK0C

Entry Name: 4 and 6, Queen Street

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1212567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383272

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761SE QUEEN STREET
1685-1/8/240 (West side)
22/12/53 Nos.4 AND 6
(Formerly Listed as:
QUEEN STREET
(West side)
No.4)
(Formerly Listed as:
QUEEN STREET
(West side)
No.6)

GV II

House, now register office. Late C18, enlarged early C19,
altered late C19 and restored 1970s. Sandstone ashlar with
slate roof. Double-depth plan.
2 storeys above cellars. Main part of facade symmetrical, of 5
bays, with an eaves cornice below a timber gutter and with
glazing bar sash windows with plain reveals and projecting
sills. The cellar openings are now blocked. Above the doorway
is a cornice on fluted console brackets. The door is of 6
raised and fielded panels below a glazed panel. At the left is
an addition which has ashlar in narrower courses and a
2-storey canted bay window which contains glazing bar sashes
in plain stone surrounds. The left-hand gable is coped.
Chimney to left of the main house. The left-hand gable wall
includes a tall window with plain stone surround and round
head rising from first-floor level and with its upper part
blocked. To each side close to eaves level are blocked lunette
windows. Much of the rear wall appears to have been rebuilt in
the late C19 using stone in narrow courses and including a
2-storey bow.
INTERIOR: largely altered, but with an archway with fluted
pilaster jambs leading through to the rear stair hall. The
open-string dogleg stair has 3 turned balusters to each tread.
It terminates in a cur-tail and has turned newels and a ramped
handrail.
No.4 listed on 18.2.70.


Listing NGR: SD4760261449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.