History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lancaster Girls' Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0457 / 54°2'44"N

Longitude: -2.8033 / 2°48'11"W

OS Eastings: 347497

OS Northings: 461382

OS Grid: SD474613

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVN.WG

Mapcode Global: WH846.XK8T

Entry Name: Lancaster Girls' Grammar School

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213320

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383293

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD46SE REGENT STREET
1685-1/1/258 (East side)
Lancaster Girls' Grammar School

II

Girls' grammar school. 1912-14. By Henry Littler. Free
Edwardian Baroque style. Snecked sandstone with ashlar
dressings, and slate roofs. Double-depth plan with 2 parallel
ridges, and 2 cross-wings to the front, with a separate,
plainer block behind. (The further 2-storey extension 1994 is
not included.)
3 storeys and 11 bays. The symmetrical facade has a 5-bay
centre recessed between 3-bay cross-wings. Each of these has,
on the ground floor, two 3-light mullioned windows and, on the
first floor, 2 wide windows with wooden mullions and transoms
and glazing bars giving 36 panes each, all under relieving
arches; on the second floor, under an open triangular
pediment, is a small window with a wooden mullion and glazing
bars giving 12 panes. The inner bay of each cross-wing
contains an octagonal stair turret, lit at the landing levels
by a pair of mullioned windows, with lead cames giving a
diamond pattern, and capped by a tall battlemented parapet and
an octagonal cupola.
The central section, accommodating the school hall, is
recessed behind a lower, 2-storey, block which contains the
original entrance, flanked by offices. The entrance on the
first floor is approached by steps which start as a double
flight, parallel to the front, and then lead in a single
flight at right angles to the doorway; this stairway is
protected by wrought-iron railings with an overthrow at the
bottom of each flight which carries a square lantern. The
doorway has a round-headed arch, with rusticated voussoirs and
a heavy keystone, set between Ionic columns which bear an open
segmental pediment enfolding the achievement of arms of the
Borough of Lancaster.
On either side of the entrance is a canted bay with a 3-light
mullioned window, flanked by smaller windows. The 5
clerestorey windows of the hall can be seen above, with
splayed jambs into which their segmental heads with rusticated
voussoirs die. Between the first and second, and fourth and
fifth, windows rise 2 pairs of octagonal chimney stacks which
frame an octagonal louvre on the hall roof.
INTERIOR: the 2-storey hall, entered through a round-headed
doorway with a keystone, is separated by square piers from the
corridors which surround it on 3 sides and both levels. The
ceiling has a barrel-vaulted central section which is carried
on curved principal rafters rising from the tie beams, which
are supported on strongly-projecting brackets.


Listing NGR: SD4749761382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD46SE REGENT STREET
1685-1/1/258 (East side)
Lancaster Girls' Grammar School

II

Girls' grammar school. 1912-14. By Henry Littler. Free
Edwardian Baroque style. Snecked sandstone with ashlar
dressings, and slate roofs. Double-depth plan with 2 parallel
ridges, and 2 cross-wings to the front, with a separate,
plainer block behind. (The further 2-storey extension 1994 is
not included.)
3 storeys and 11 bays. The symmetrical facade has a 5-bay
centre recessed between 3-bay cross-wings. Each of these has,
on the ground floor, two 3-light mullioned windows and, on the
first floor, 2 wide windows with wooden mullions and transoms
and glazing bars giving 36 panes each, all under relieving
arches; on the second floor, under an open triangular
pediment, is a small window with a wooden mullion and glazing
bars giving 12 panes. The inner bay of each cross-wing
contains an octagonal stair turret, lit at the landing levels
by a pair of mullioned windows, with lead cames giving a
diamond pattern, and capped by a tall battlemented parapet and
an octagonal cupola.
The central section, accommodating the school hall, is
recessed behind a lower, 2-storey, block which contains the
original entrance, flanked by offices. The entrance on the
first floor is approached by steps which start as a double
flight, parallel to the front, and then lead in a single
flight at right angles to the doorway; this stairway is
protected by wrought-iron railings with an overthrow at the
bottom of each flight which carries a square lantern. The
doorway has a round-headed arch, with rusticated voussoirs and
a heavy keystone, set between Ionic columns which bear an open
segmental pediment enfolding the achievement of arms of the
Borough of Lancaster.
On either side of the entrance is a canted bay with a 3-light
mullioned window, flanked by smaller windows. The 5
clerestorey windows of the hall can be seen above, with
splayed jambs into which their segmental heads with rusticated
voussoirs die. Between the first and second, and fourth and
fifth, windows rise 2 pairs of octagonal chimney stacks which
frame an octagonal louvre on the hall roof.
INTERIOR: the 2-storey hall, entered through a round-headed
doorway with a keystone, is separated by square piers from the
corridors which surround it on 3 sides and both levels. The
ceiling has a barrel-vaulted central section which is carried
on curved principal rafters rising from the tie beams, which
are supported on strongly-projecting brackets.


Listing NGR: SD4749761382

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.