History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden House Behind Number 2, Greycourt

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0513 / 54°3'4"N

Longitude: -2.8041 / 2°48'14"W

OS Eastings: 347452

OS Northings: 462005

OS Grid: SD474620

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.QG

Mapcode Global: WH846.WFWJ

Entry Name: Garden House Behind Number 2, Greycourt

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214229

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383321

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4762 ST MARY'S GATE
1685-1/3/287 (North side)
22/12/53 Garden house behind No.2, Greycourt
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
Garden House to No.2 Church Street
(Greycourt))

GV II

Summerhouse. Late C18, restored c1987. Squared sandstone
rubble, with ashlar upper storey. Slate roof. Octagonal plan.
2 storeys above a cellar. Built against a garden wall, with a
doorway on the south-east side. On the ground floor there are
windows on the 3 sides to the right of the doorway. They have
glazing bar sashes which appear to be C20 reproductions of the
originals. The first-floor windows are similar and have a sill
band. The southern side (to the left of the doorway) has a
blind recess. Stone gutter cornice and central octagonal
ashlar chimney cap.
INTERIOR: contains a cantilevered stone stair with iron stick
balusters and a mahogany handrail. A second flight of stone
steps leads to a barrel-vaulted cellar. On the first floor is
a cast-iron fireplace surround with a hob grate and boiler.
HISTORY: not shown on Stephen Mackereth's map of 1778, but
appears on J Walker's engraving of Lancaster Old Bridge in
1797. Clark, writing in 1807 about the adjoining Wery Wall
(qv), said that 'A fragment of this wall is yet to be seen,
adjoining the garden of John Ford Esq. part of which...
sustains the north wall of his summer-house, adjoining the
Vicarage Field.'
(Centre for North-West Regional Studies Occasional Papers:
White A & Shotter D: The Roman Fort and Town of Lancaster:
Lancaster: 1990-: 8).


Listing NGR: SD4745262005

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.