History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nether Alderley, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2817 / 53°16'54"N

Longitude: -2.2387 / 2°14'19"W

OS Eastings: 384178

OS Northings: 376108

OS Grid: SJ841761

Mapcode National: GBR DZTH.39

Mapcode Global: WHBBF.LS41

Entry Name: Church Hall

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1216836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58285

Location: Nether Alderley, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Nether Alderley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Alderley Edge

Listing Text

SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE

4/118 Church Hall
[formerly listed as
Parish Hall (Old School)]

14/4/1967

GV II*

Formerly school, now church hall and parish council chamber: dated
1628 for Hugh Shaw, addition to rear dated 1817 for Rev. Edward
Stanley. Ashlar red sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone
ridge and 1 brick chimney. Originally rectangular in plan now
L-shaped. 1½-storey, 3-bay north front. Left end bay has a studded
oak board door under a wooden lintel approached by 5-steps. Central
bay has a rebated 4-light chamfered stone mullioned window with a
similar 3-light in a stone coped and column finialled gabled half
dormer. To right is a bead-moulded doorcase with a heavy cambered
lintel containing a studded, 3-board oak door with iron strap hinges.
Above plaque reads "Mr Hugh Shaw Clerk built this School Ano 1628. Mr
Thomas Deane de Park Endowed it Jany 30th 1694".
Similar 4 and 5-light mullions in the gable end. To right and set
back is part of additional range on stone plinth and with a projecting
band at 1st floor and a 3-light chamfered stone mullion in 1st storey
below a small coped gable containing the date plaque. Square wooden
bellcote on ridge with shaped lead roof and ball finial.
Interior: in the original the schoolroom was above and the master's
house below. Chamfered ceiling beam with flat and tongue stop and
studded 8-board door with cambered wooden lintel between old and new
portions. Very heavy roof timbers visible in old schoolroom.
Addition has some panelling from the church.


Listing NGR: SJ8417876108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.