History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nineveh Court, Attached Carriage Arch and Screen Wall, Canford School

A Grade I Listed Building in Merley, Poole

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.79 / 50°47'24"N

Longitude: -1.9529 / 1°57'10"W

OS Eastings: 403414

OS Northings: 98941

OS Grid: SZ034989

Mapcode National: GBR 435.C38

Mapcode Global: FRA 67S0.4ZN

Entry Name: Nineveh Court, Attached Carriage Arch and Screen Wall, Canford School

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 13 September 1995

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 412435

Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH21

County: Poole

Electoral Ward/Division: Merley & Bearwood

Built-Up Area: Merley

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Canford Magna

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wimborne Minster

Listing Text


SZ0398 CANFORD MAGNA, Canford Magna
958-1/9/223 (East side (off))
14/06/54 Nineveh Court, attached carriage
arch and screen wall, Canford School
(Formerly Listed as:
Canford School)
(Formerly Listed as:
Canford Manor)


Sculpture gallery, now school tuck shop. 1851, altered C20. By
Sir Charles Barry. White brick in Flemish bond with Portland
limestone dressings and Westmorland slate roof. Greek cross
plan with porch continuing entrance arm.
Single storey. Tall pointed entrance archway to S with
hoodmould and many-moulded head dying into plain chamfered
jambs. Pointed-arched sunk panel to gable above inscribed
YEAR MDCCLI. Entrance, formerly open, is now glazed.
Chamfered and moulded doorway to right (E) side elevation with
Tudor-arched head. Other 3 arms of cruciform building each
have 3-light window to gable end with pointed heads and
Perpendicular-style tracery. Stone-coped gables with kneelers
and gable finials and angle buttresses, except to arm facing
service court, which is flanked by lower single-storey
extensions with chamfered stone mullion and transom windows
and battlemented parapet.
Rear left corner of building is joined to NE angle of John of
Gaunt's Kitchen (qv) by carriage arch to service court, in
wall with battlemented parapet, stepped up over archway.
Carriage arch has hollow-chamfered and wave-moulded 4-centred
head, and double-leaf cast-iron gates.
Service court is hidden from garden to S by 9-bay screen wall
of limestone ashlar, extending from front left corner of
Nineveh Court to house (qv Canford School) with 1-bay return
at that end. Screen originally formed garden front of the new
conservatory, subsequently dismantled and its site added to
service court. Wall is designed in manner of Perpendicular
cloister walk with a 3-light window to each bay, now blind,
with 4-centred head, Perpendicular-style tracery and
hoodmould. Central cinquefoil-headed light now forms niche,
outer blank lights are sub-divided by mullion and transom and
have pierced quatrefoils to head; pierced trefoils to
spandrels either side of central light. Stone bench below each
blank window between buttresses which define bays. Diagonal
pinnacles on buttresses, with crocketed finials, punctuate
openwork balustrade, which has pierced trefoils, small blank
shields to string course below and prominent moulded stone
INTERIOR: porch has tiled floor with Islamic-style patterns to
tiled borders and blocked doorway to former conservatory with
Tudor-arched head. Tall double-leaf cast-iron gates lead to
former gallery incorporating Assyrian motifs including bulls
with bearded human heads and pointed arched overthrow with
winged bulls kneeling either side of Assyrian symbol.
Former gallery has boarded roof with painted decoration and
central square blank opening to crossing, formerly a skylight,
removed in subsequent re-roofing. Patterned stained-glass
Before the sale of Canford Manor in 1923 the building housed
an important series of Assyrian reliefs excavated at Nimrod by
Sir Henry Layard and presented by him to Sir John Guest, his
father-in-law. The reliefs were sold 1932 and 1959 and are now
mostly in the Metropolitan Museum, New York. One Assyrian bas
relief was discovered in 1994 and sold at Auction at
A postcard of Canford House postmarked Feb 17 1906 records the
appearance of the original central lantern turret over
crossing skylight. This was square and had 2 stages. The
bottom stage had 4 tall thin windows with pointed heads to
each side and pinnacles. The upper stage has 2 similar smaller
windows to each side and more pinnacles.
(National Monuments Record: Postcards Collection).

Listing NGR: SZ0341498941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.