This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7146 / 50°42'52"N
Longitude: -1.9849 / 1°59'5"W
OS Eastings: 401158
OS Northings: 90556
OS Grid: SZ011905
Mapcode National: GBR XQP.R4
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Q6.4HX
Entry Name: Numbers 87 and 89 Including Front Area Railings
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 13 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412495
Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH15
Electoral Ward/Division: Poole Town
Built-Up Area: Poole
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Poole St James with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SZ0190NW HIGH STREET
958-1/16/52 (South East side)
14/06/54 Nos.87 AND 89
including front area railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
Nos.87 AND 89)
Formerly known as: Barfoot's House HIGH STREET.
Town house, now restaurant and flats (No.87) and part of shop
premises (No.89). Dated 1704, sub-divided and altered 1777,
with C19 and C20 alterations, C20 extensions to rear and large
late C19 extension to front of No.89 on part of original
forecourt and covering 4 bays of original 7-bay elevation.
Originally of red brick in Flemish bond with flared headers
and stone dressings, now rendered to front; plain-tile hipped
roof and brick gable stacks. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys and cellar; 7-window range. Only 3 bays to right of
centre of front are visible from High Street including far
right bay of 3-bay centre, which breaks forward slightly.
Painted wood doorcase to this bay, probably of c1777. Panelled
door in round-arched doorway with imposts, fluted key block
and fanlight, flanked by fluted Roman Doric columns bearing
open pediment. This part of front is rendered. 6/6-pane sashes
with moulded stone surrounds. Rusticated quoins to right,
quoins of even length to visible angle of 3-bay centre.
First-floor storey band and moulded string course at
second-floor level, scrolled console bracketed eaves cornice,
and stone-coped parapet.
Within the front extension to No.89 the ground- and
first-floor front wall of house appears to have been removed,
but second-floor front wall survives unrendered. Left end
stack has swept up base with coping continued from parapet.
Original rainwater head inscribed SW/1704.
2-storey former service building to left side behind C19
extension is probably mid C18 and is of red brick with hipped
slate roof; sashes with flat-arched heads and rusticated
INTERIOR: No.87 has an open-well staircase, probably
re-located c1775 with mahogany ramped handrail with scrolled
end, 3 column-on-vase balusters to a tread, column newels,
carved tread ends, and panelled dado. Early C18 fireplaces,
bolection-moulded panelling and doorcases on upper floors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: C19 wrought-iron railings and gates
enclose the flagged front area.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the earliest of an important group of C18
merchants' town houses in Poole, the result of the developing
Newfoundland cod trade.
No.89 listed 14.8.92.
(RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 225).
Listing NGR: SZ0115890556
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings