History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the English Martyrs

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7692 / 53°46'9"N

Longitude: -2.7043 / 2°42'15"W

OS Eastings: 353677

OS Northings: 430545

OS Grid: SD536305

Mapcode National: GBR T95.PP

Mapcode Global: WH85M.FJHB

Entry Name: Church of the English Martyrs

Listing Date: 2 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217944

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392027

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Moor Park

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD53SW GARSTANG ROAD
941-1/1/143 (East side)
02/09/85 Church of the English Martyrs

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1863-7, by Edward Welby Pugin, enlarged
1888 by the same architect. Rock-faced sandstone, slate roof. Nave
with north and south aisles, coupled north and south transepts
with chapels on east sides, 5-sided apsidal chancel. Gothic
style. The elaborate gabled west front is distinguished by 3
very prominent pinnacled turrets, one corbelled off the apex
and enriched with statues in niches etc., and the others
carried up from buttressed octagonal corners, enriched with
blind arcading; and by a very large 2-centred arched 8-light
window with multifoiled circular tracery. Beneath the window
is a tripartite porch (of 1888) with crocketed gabled centre
containing a moulded arched doorway and flanked by corbelled
statues, and a similar north doorway. The 6-bay nave and
aisles, by contrast, are very simply treated: the aisles have
attenuated arched 2-light windows with plate tracery, and the
nave has a clerestory of 18 small lancets. The coupled
transepts, projected from the aisles and the same height, have
tall 3-light traceried windows; their chapels have windows
with geometric tracery; and the chancel has coupled 2-light
windows.
INTERIOR: 7-bay aisle and 2-bay transept arcades, of tall
columns with heavily-foliated carved caps (all different),
carrying moulded 2-centred arches with hoodmoulds which have
festoons at the springing; wagon roof; projected west gallery
(now with enclosed baptistry beneath); aisles with transverse
arches and side arches; arcaded transepts with coupled and
triple corbelled wall shafts; elaborate sanctuary dado with
statues of saints and martyrs, and canopied reredos.


Listing NGR: SD5367730545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


PRESTON

SD53SW GARSTANG ROAD
941-1/1/143 (East side)
02/09/85 Church of the English Martyrs

GV II

Roman Catholic church. 1863-7, by Edward Welby Pugin, enlarged
1888 by the same architect. Rock-faced sandstone, slate roof. Nave
with north and south aisles, coupled north and south transepts
with chapels on east sides, 5-sided apsidal chancel. Gothic
style. The elaborate gabled west front is distinguished by 3
very prominent pinnacled turrets, one corbelled off the apex
and enriched with statues in niches etc., and the others
carried up from buttressed octagonal corners, enriched with
blind arcading; and by a very large 2-centred arched 8-light
window with multifoiled circular tracery. Beneath the window
is a tripartite porch (of 1888) with crocketed gabled centre
containing a moulded arched doorway and flanked by corbelled
statues, and a similar north doorway. The 6-bay nave and
aisles, by contrast, are very simply treated: the aisles have
attenuated arched 2-light windows with plate tracery, and the
nave has a clerestory of 18 small lancets. The coupled
transepts, projected from the aisles and the same height, have
tall 3-light traceried windows; their chapels have windows
with geometric tracery; and the chancel has coupled 2-light
windows.
INTERIOR: 7-bay aisle and 2-bay transept arcades, of tall
columns with heavily-foliated carved caps (all different),
carrying moulded 2-centred arches with hoodmoulds which have
festoons at the springing; wagon roof; projected west gallery
(now with enclosed baptistry beneath); aisles with transverse
arches and side arches; arcaded transepts with coupled and
triple corbelled wall shafts; elaborate sanctuary dado with
statues of saints and martyrs, and canopied reredos.


Listing NGR: SD5367730545

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.