History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14,16,18, Great Avenham Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7548 / 53°45'17"N

Longitude: -2.6969 / 2°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 354144

OS Northings: 428945

OS Grid: SD541289

Mapcode National: GBR TBB.1G

Mapcode Global: WH85M.JWYB

Entry Name: 14,16,18, Great Avenham Street

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392031

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5428NW GREAT AVENHAM STREET
941-1/14/147 (South West side)
Nos.14, 16 AND 18

GV II

Row of 3 small town houses. c.1825, altered. Red brick in 4+1
English garden wall bond (but with stretchers alternating in
the header course), with sandstone dressings and slate roof.
Double-depth plan, each house single-fronted, with
through-lobby between Nos.16 and 18 (no back extensions: see
interior below). Two storeys over basements, each house 2
bays, with 1st-floor sill-band and moulded gutter cornice;
rendered plinth to No.14; vertical joint between No.14 and 16
(not corresponding to similar joint at rear, which is between
Nos.16 and 18). No.14 has the doorway to the left, Nos.16 and
18 have doorways forming a triplet in the centre with the
lobby door between, all up 3 steps; each has a round-headed
architrave with raised moulded rim and moulded imposts, and a
semi-circular fanlight, that at No.16 with original radiating
metal tracery, and Nos.16 and 18 with restored 6-panel doors;
and the lobby doorway between these has a plain lintel and
board door. Each has one window at ground floor and 2 above,
(No.14 with altered glazing, No.16 with restored 16-pane
sashes, No.18 with a 4-pane sash at ground floor and sashes
without glazing bars above); all with raised sills and wedge
lintels. Basement windows with wedge lintels, No.16 with
grating. Rear: each has back doors to both the ground floor
and the basement, with steps protected by bar railings
(altered at No.14), and a tall stair-window.
INTERIOR: No.14 has a 2-room basement with the former kitchen
at the rear and the former wash-house at the front (both
altered): a substitution of full service basements for back
extensions which is unusual in this town. Item is part of
formerly complete set of late Georgian lower-middle class
houses in this street (laid out in Great Avenham Field,
advertised for sale as building plots in 1825).


Listing NGR: SD5414528938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.