This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7546 / 53°45'16"N
Longitude: -2.6966 / 2°41'47"W
OS Eastings: 354167
OS Northings: 428918
OS Grid: SD541289
Mapcode National: GBR TBC.H2
Mapcode Global: WH85M.KW4J
Entry Name: 26 and 28 Great Avenham Street
Listing Date: 20 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392035
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
GREAT AVENHAM STREET (South West side)
Nos.26 AND 28
Pair of town houses. c.1830, altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Double-depth plan, each house single-fronted, with back extensions, and through-lobby to left of No.26. Three storeys over cellars, 1+2 bays, with 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and moulded cornice. The doorways, both to the left, differ in detail: No.26, up 2 steps, has a doorcase of engaged Tuscan columns with square abaci, plain frieze and moulded cornice, and a segmental fanlight; No.28 has a round-headed architrave with set-in Tuscan quarter columns, and semi-circular fanlight with hollow-moulded surround; the lobby doorway to the left of No.26 has a wedge lintel and board door. No.26 has one window at ground floor and 2 on each floor above, No.28 has one window on each floor, all these windows sashed without glazing bars and all with raised sills and wedge lintels; cellar windows with wedge lintels, No.26 with grating and No.28 blocked. Lead downspout at junction descending only to ground-floor level where it enters the wall above the lobby door. Rear and INTERIOR not inspected. Part of formerly complete set of late Georgian lower-middle class houses in this street (laid out in Great Avenham Field, advertised for sale as building plots in 1825).
Listing NGR: SD5416328919
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings