History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Portal to East End of Tunnel on Former Longridge Railway Line

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7661 / 53°45'58"N

Longitude: -2.6971 / 2°41'49"W

OS Eastings: 354143

OS Northings: 430201

OS Grid: SD541302

Mapcode National: GBR TB8.GX

Mapcode Global: WH85M.JLWN

Entry Name: Portal to East End of Tunnel on Former Longridge Railway Line

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392040

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5430 GREAT GEORGE STREET
941-1/5/156 (North side)
Portal to east end of tunnel on
former Longridge Railway line

II

Portal at east end of tunnel on branch line of former
Longridge Railway. c.1846, for the Fleetwood, Preston and West
Riding Railway Company. Coursed rock-faced sandstone blocks,
brick parapet. Horseshoe arch with punch-dressed rusticated
voussoirs and large scrolled keyblock, flanked by broad
pilasters carried up as piers to the parapet; ashlar
string-course, brick parapet. History: part of junction line
between Deepdale and Maudlands, constructed in 1846 to link
the Longridge Railway (1840, terminating behind Stephenson
Terrace) with the Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Railway.


Listing NGR: SD5414330201

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


PRESTON

SD5430 GREAT GEORGE STREET
941-1/5/156 (North side)
Portal to east end of tunnel on
former Longridge Railway line

II

Portal at east end of tunnel on branch line of former
Longridge Railway. c.1846, for the Fleetwood, Preston and West
Riding Railway Company. Coursed rock-faced sandstone blocks,
brick parapet. Horseshoe arch with punch-dressed rusticated
voussoirs and large scrolled keyblock, flanked by broad
pilasters carried up as piers to the parapet; ashlar
string-course, brick parapet. History: part of junction line
between Deepdale and Maudlands, constructed in 1846 to link
the Longridge Railway (1840, terminating behind Stephenson
Terrace) with the Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Railway.


Listing NGR: SD5414330201

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.