This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0592 / 54°3'33"N
Longitude: -3.2173 / 3°13'2"W
OS Eastings: 320415
OS Northings: 463270
OS Grid: SD204632
Mapcode National: GBR 5PZH.8M
Mapcode Global: WH72W.K75G
Entry Name: South End Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388473
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Walney South
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: St Mary the Virgin, Walney Island
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD26SW HARE LANE, Walney Island
708-1/8/267 (North side)
06/05/76 South End Farmhouse and attached
Farmhouse with attached farm buildings. House dated 'WSI 1764'
but of earlier origin; farm buildings early and late C18.
Cement-rendered with Welsh slate and graduated slate roofs;
farm buildings of cobble rubble with graduated slate and
corrugated asbestos roofs.
Farmhouse of 2 storeys and 3 windows to 1st floor with barn
under same roof at right-angles to rear left; longer 2-storey
farm building completes U-shaped group.
Farmhouse: part-glazed door to right of centre has ashlar
architrave with cornice on consoles; tall C20 casements to
each side on each floor; date plaque over door. Earlier part
to left has 2 segmentally-arched ground-floor windows (that to
right may be in position of former door); C20 casement in
square-headed opening above. Stone gutter brackets; end stack
on right and 2 ridge stacks; left end of roof hipped at
junction with barn to rear. Rear of house has outshuts under
Barn: boarded double doors under wooden lintel and slated
canopy; lean-to on right with pigeon holes in main wall above;
stone stair to right of this rises against side of attached
farm building. Altered farm building across north side of yard
has large ground-floor openings, row of projecting throughs
and segmentally-arched taking-in door to 1st floor right.
INTERIOR Three room plan reveals evidence of early build,
enlarged in 1746. The principle stack and winder stair are
grouped together at one end, representing the early phase,
possible of longhouse type, the door of which has now become a
window. Staircase with stick pilasters and ramped handrail.
Doors are of 2, 4 and 6 panel type. Roof structure supported
by C18 King post struts. Barn has early C18 principal-rafter
trusses. Farmbuilding across north side of yard included for
group value only. Farmbuilding projecting from front left of
house not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SD2041563270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.