History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tuethur

A Grade II Listed Building in Denton Holme, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.888 / 54°53'16"N

Longitude: -2.9464 / 2°56'47"W

OS Eastings: 339388

OS Northings: 555211

OS Grid: NY393552

Mapcode National: GBR 7CVX.XL

Mapcode Global: WH802.QD4N

Entry Name: Tuethur

Listing Date: 29 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386850

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Denton Holme

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St James

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3955 ST JAMES ROAD
671-1/9/253 (North side)
29/05/87 No.10
Tuethur

II

House. 1923 for Sir James Morton, by Sir Robert Lorimer
(builder Laings) with later extensions. Painted wet-dashed
walls on brick plinth. Main house has a hipped clay tiled roof
with swept eaves; mid brick chimney stacks; the wing has a
flat roof on 2 levels hidden by a solid parapet.
Main house is 2 storeys, 4 bays with a lower single-storey
wing of 2 bays in a rough L-shape. Built on corner of St James
Road and Empire Road. Casement glazed door at internal angle
of `L', facing St James Road, with casement to right and 2
above; wing has small "porthole" and large 5-light window
subdivided vertically by segment-headed arcade. Symmetrical
elevation to Empire Road has 2 full-height, recessed, canted
bays with hung tiles between floors; similar bay to rear.
Windows (except wing) small-paned casements.
INTERIOR not seen, but well documented: cherrywood panelling
to entrance hall and reception room; similar panelling to
first floor room which has inglenook fireplace (incorporating
cupboards and shelves) and coved plaster ceiling with ornate
bird and animal decoration. Oak staircase is decoratively
carved in the Voysey manner.
Its name comes from the use of the house between Tuesday and
Thursday, the owner going home at weekends - see J Morton
(1971) and Christopher Hussey (1931). An undated plan is in
Cumbria County Record Office, DB/6/2/269.
(Morton, Joycelyn: Three Generations in a Family Textile Firm:
1971-: P.312; Hussey, Christopher: The Work of Sir Robert
Lorimer: 1931-: P.XVI).


Listing NGR: NY3938855211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.