History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ormsgill Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ormsgill, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1318 / 54°7'54"N

Longitude: -3.2382 / 3°14'17"W

OS Eastings: 319188

OS Northings: 471366

OS Grid: SD191713

Mapcode National: GBR 5NTN.QM

Mapcode Global: WH72H.7D7V

Entry Name: Ormsgill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 November 1949

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1218612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388549

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Ormsgill

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barrow in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD17SE ORMSGILL LANE
708-1/3/98 (West side)
10/11/49 Ormsgill Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
ORMSGILL LANE
Ormsgill Farmhouse with adjoining
farm buildings)

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1605 with early C18 addition. Red sandstone
rubble, graduated slate roof. 2 storeys with attic, 3:1
windows to 1st floor. Large quoins. Earlier part on left has
central door with chamfered surround and slab hood on shaped
stone brackets; chamfered 3-light mullioned windows to each
side and chamfered single-light fire window on right. 1st
floor: C20 datestone above door; three 2-light chamfered
mullioned windows. Addition on right has larger scale
mullioned window of 4 lights on left of boarded door set
beneath slab on shaped stone brackets. Altered 3-light window
above now has 2-light casement. Earlier part has truncated end
stack on left and rounded end stack on right. The addition
(under same roof line) has right end stack and oversailing
verge. INTERIOR of earlier part: spine beams and common joists
to ground floor ceilings; also bressumer beam set on C20 heck
wall. C17 oak dogleg stair in outshut to rear has turned
balusters and square newels. Complete attic floor of oak
boards on original joists. Collared principal-rafter trusses.
Right end stack cantilevered from former gable on wooden
beams, clear traces of smokehood. Date 1605 on C20 datestone
said to be derived from documentary evidence.


Listing NGR: SD1918871366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.