This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.124 / 54°7'26"N
Longitude: -3.2206 / 3°13'14"W
OS Eastings: 320323
OS Northings: 470484
OS Grid: SD203704
Mapcode National: GBR 5NYR.JD
Mapcode Global: WH72H.HLLT
Entry Name: Victoria Park Hotel
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388628
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Parkside
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD27SW VICTORIA ROAD
708-1/4/143 (South West side)
06/05/76 Victoria Park Hotel
Hotel. c1900. By Watson and Curry of Newcastle (plan). Red
brick, the upper storey pebbledashed, red sandstone dressings;
graduated slate roof.
2 storeys and attic, 8 bays with 5-bay right return to Oxford
Street and 3:3 bay left return to Kendal Street.
Chamfered plinth. Pilasters support basket arch to each bay;
ashlar imposts, hoodmoulds and ashlar keystones. Main entrance
to bay 6 has door and side-lights in architraves under
swan-neck pediment and cartouche; covering this is a
stained-glass canopy supported by cast-iron columns on
corniced, ashlar piers; arched front panel has tracery, radial
glazing bars and torchere finial; curved roof with fishscale
panels to each side. Bay 2 has panelled door and decorative
overlight in quoined surround with cornice on brackets; other
bays have transomed 3-light casements; continuous cornice.
1st floor: sashes (with glazing bars to their upper frames) in
architraves with moulded sills; bays 3 & 6 have mullioned
3-light windows flanked by corbelled pilaster strips; bays 1 &
8 have single sashes whilst the remaining bays have paired
sashes. Angled corner to right with 3-sided window in same
style. Rectangular-section fallpipes; rain-water heads in the
form of winged beasts.
Eaves cornice above which bays 3 & 6 rise as half-timbered
gables each with 2-light casement with glazing bars. Between
the gables are three 3-light dormers with flat roofs; matching
dormers to bays 2 & 7. Angled corner rises as an octagonal
turret having cornice and scalloped parapet with ball finials;
recessed wooden cupola with weathervane. Main roof is hipped
and has terracotta ridges and finials; tall, corniced ridge
stacks and front-slope stack between bays 7 & 8.
Rear (facing walled garden): 5-bay loggia with slender
cast-iron columns and ornate spandrels; 5 blind basket arches
to wall on right.
Right return: 2-light windows within round arches; 'BILLIARD
ROOM' and 'SMOKE ROOM' etched on glass. 2-bay shaped gable on
right has scrolled supporters with ball finials and central
stack with terracotta panel depicting plant in vase. Left
return: 3 bays as front; 3 later bays of 3 storeys with
vehicle entrance having keyed, round arch.
INTERIOR: dining-room ceiling has panels and ribbons.
Cast-iron spiral staircase rises from kitchen to attic.
Plans are dated 1898 and differ slightly: the glazed canopy
and 3-bay addition to left return are not shown; the octagonal
turret treatment differs. The drawing is by Watson and Curry;
the application (1899) by Curry and Davidson.
(Building Plans Register: 1899-: 4031).
Listing NGR: SD2032370484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings