History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Three Mariners Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0511 / 54°3'3"N

Longitude: -2.8031 / 2°48'11"W

OS Eastings: 347520

OS Northings: 461978

OS Grid: SD475619

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.YK

Mapcode Global: WH846.XFDQ

Entry Name: The Three Mariners Public House

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1220003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383053

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE BRIDGE LANE
1685-1/7/18 The Three Mariners Public House
18/02/70
(Formerly Listed as:
BRIDGE LANE
Carpenters' Arms Hotel)

II

Public house. Late C17, with C19 addition, altered and
restored early C20. Coursed sandstone rubble with slate roof
and brick chimneys. Rectangular 3-unit plan, with a
Single-storey addition on the right.
The original building has 3 storeys and 3 bays and gable
chimneys. The doorway between bays 2 and 3 has a restored
chamfered surround including a shaped lintel. The windows are
mostly restored and have flush chamfered mullions on the
ground floor and chamfered mullions in rebated and chamfered
surrounds above. All are of 3 lights except for a 2-light
window in the 2nd bay on the ground floor. The C19 extension
has a shallow-pitched roof and a gable chimney; it is of a
full height but has only 2 storeys. It has on the right a tall
doorway with a plain surround and overlight, and a large
6-paned sash window on each floor.
INTERIOR: the third unit has 2 large roughly chamfered axial
beams; the remainder has roughly-shaped lateral beams, but the
positions of all suggest alterations which may have included
the removal of a former axial chimney stack.
HISTORY: Bridge Lane was the main road leading north over the
Lune until Skerton Bridge was built in 1788. Most of the
remaining part of the street was demolished when a new road
from China Street to the Bus Station was made in 1937. Old
photographs, one dated 1927, show that the present facade,
which once formed part of a row of buildings, is largely
restored. They show a gabled 4th storey above the 2 right-hand
bays, and a ground-floor doorway in the left-hand bay.


Listing NGR: SD4752061978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.