This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.753 / 52°45'10"N
Longitude: 0.3931 / 0°23'35"E
OS Eastings: 561604
OS Northings: 319949
OS Grid: TF616199
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.J5J
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.02GB
Entry Name: Bank House
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384183
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE KING'S STAITHE SQUARE
610-1/9/112 (South side)
01/12/51 Bank House
House, then hotel, now offices. Early C18. Shown on Rastrick's
1725 plan but Bell shows clear site c1680. North facade
re-worked early C19 with 2 full-height canted window bays.
Red brick with plain tiled roofs.
North front of 2 storeys and dormer attic Central panelled
door within stuccoed Gibbsian rusticated surround. One sash
above with glazing bars and gauged skewback arch. Canted
window bays to either side are pierced by 3 similar sashes to
each floor and terminate in a timber modillion eaves cornice.
Gabled roof carrying 2 hipped dormers with sashes between
which is a tall stuccoed niche on scrolled consoles. Niche is
framed by pilaster strips and a round arch and surmounted by a
broken swan-necked pediment. In niche is a statue of Charles
I, resited 1685 from former Custom House (qv) of 1630.
Internal gable end stack to east and a compound stack to west
gable is shared by the 3-storey wing returning north. This
wing is illuminated through sashes with glazing bars and
gauged skewback arches and is an early C19 front. Parapet
conceals 2 hipped roofs.
West elevation has large patches of English bond brickwork, is
in 3 storeys and presents 4 hipped roofs to view. Windows are
predominately sashes with glazing bars and exposed boxes. One
stack left of centre and another immediately behind.
INTERIOR. Very extensive brick cellars are barrel-vaulted.
They are entered from north-east room under a heavy bressumer.
This room with large but plain bridging beams. Ground floor
east room with large-frame C18 panelling and a shouldered and
eared picture frame in the overmantel. Reeded strips separate
sashes in the window bay. Ceiling in large geometric panels.
The room immediately above has similar panelling. Early C19
staircase: open string, stick balusters, ramped and wreathed
Captain Samuel Gurney Cresswell, the Arctic Explorer, was born
here (1827-1867). The house was built on the former site of
the C16 Port Tollbooth.
Listing NGR: TF6160419948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings