This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0977 / 53°5'51"N
Longitude: -1.2685 / 1°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 449076
OS Northings: 355863
OS Grid: SK490558
Mapcode National: GBR 7DB.XSM
Mapcode Global: WHDG4.HD5K
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 12 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410930
Location: Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17
Electoral Ward/Division: Kirkby Cross & Portland
Built-Up Area: Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkby-in-Ashfield St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 45 NE KIRKBY IN ASHFIELD CHURCH STREET
3/36 The Old Rectory
28/11/50 (formerly listed as
Rectory, now a house. 1717, altered late C19 and mid C20.
Brick, partly rendered, and coursed and squared rubble, with
slate roofs. Ashlar dressings, chamfered plinth, first floor and
eaves bands. Modillioned wood and chamfered stone eaves. Coped
gables. 2 gable and single ridge stacks. 2 storeys plus attics,
5 bays. L-plan. Windows are mainly C18 and C19 glazing bar
sashes with flat arched heads. South front has central door with
porch hood on scroll brackets, flanked by 2 sashes. Beyond, to
right, mid C20 flat roofed single bay addition. Above, 5
sashes. Above again, 3 pedimented dormers, the central one
segmental. Rear elevation has full width single storey C19 lean-
to addition with central shouldered doorway and overlight,
flanked by single sashes. Above, 3 sashes. Above again, 3
dormers similar to those on south front. East side has to left
single storey C20 addition with a sash and 2 casements. Gable
has, above, a sash on each floor and to garret. C17 2 storey
rear wing, to right, has 3 C20 casements and above, 2 casements.
West side has to left, lean-to addition with door and casement.
Above, a C19 casement. Interior has dogleg stair with landings,
fluted newel, turned balusters and altered handrail. Dining room
has full height fielded panelling. Bedroom above has remains of
similar panelling. Drawing room has moulded cornice and chair
rail and pilastered doorcase with blank fanlight. Landing has
round headed keystoned arch dated 1717. 9 two panel C18 doors.
Double purlin principal rafter roof incorporating re-used timber.
A late C16 west wing was demolished in 1964.
Listing NGR: SK4907655863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings