This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0824 / 51°4'56"N
Longitude: -0.6548 / 0°39'17"W
OS Eastings: 494323
OS Northings: 132315
OS Grid: SU943323
Mapcode National: GBR FFC.381
Mapcode Global: FRA 96J8.6Q6
Entry Name: Dickhurst
Listing Date: 10 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1221976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 413958
Location: Lurgashall, Chichester, West Sussex, GU27
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Lurgashall
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lurgashall St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The following building shall be added to the list;
LURGASHALL CRIPPLECRUTCH HILL
SU 93 SW (west-side)
Large house. C1900 by C Harrison Townsend, probably designed
c1895, and mentioned three times in Hermann Muthesius' "Das
Englishe Haus" of 1904-5. Vernacular Revival style building
facing south over valley in open V or butterfly plan. Main
house to east, service wing including Billiard Room to west.
South or garden front east wing cement-rendered with
timber-framing, west wing has ground floor of brick and first
floor tile bung. Tiled roof with 8 tall ribbed brick
chimneystacks. Asymmetrical building of one or two storeys, 9
windows. Mainly mullioned or mullioned and transomed windows
but 3 tier 4-light window to Hall on extreme east. East side
elevation has projecting chimneybreast with 2 cambered windows
and main entrance with brick and timber porch and plank door.
North front has, to extreme east, a one storey alcove with
seat. The remainder of this front has a one storey corridor
with catslide roof, punctuated by a two storey staircase
tower, the ground floor brick, the first floor tile hung with
canted bay with 3-tier leaded lights. To the extreme west is a
large tile-hung gable of two storeys and attics with large
7-light mullioned and transomed timber-framed canted bay to
ground floor Billiard Room. To the left is a doorcase with
plank door and side-light. Interior has Billiard Room with
wooden fireplace with copper hood and fenders and original
painted frieze of irises. Study has built-in cupboard and
fireplace with panelling and tiled surround. Dining Room has
dado panelling and chimneybreast with tiled surround and
alcoves. Drawing Room has wooden fireplace with iron
basket-grate and frieze with panel showing a reclining youth
and lion (Androcles and the lion or Heracles and the Nemean
lion?), urns, brackets and wheat ear drops. Fine dado
plastered frieze with pattern of scrollwork and urns. Hall
entered via Drawing Room or corridor has sliding double doors.
Large fireplace of stone with eared architrave, pilastered
mantelpiece, cambered sidelights, panelling and queenpost type
roof. Main staircase of dogleg type with splat balusters.
Several original fireplaces to first floor, including one with
antique tiles and cupboard over.
[See Hermann Muthesius "Das Englishe Haus" 1904-5, p126, p129
and p131. Alasdair Service "Edwardian Architecture"
Listing NGR: SU9432332315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings