This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8104 / 51°48'37"N
Longitude: -0.0304 / 0°1'49"W
OS Eastings: 535881
OS Northings: 214253
OS Grid: TL358142
Mapcode National: GBR KBL.K3N
Mapcode Global: VHGPH.FR9H
Entry Name: Number 27 and Attached Rear Outshoot and Barn
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Last Amended: 13 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 412328
Location: Ware, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Ware
Built-Up Area: Ware
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ware
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL3514SE HIGH STREET
829-1/9/91 (South side)
and attached rear outshoot and barn
(Formerly Listed as:
Inn and attached outbuildings, now bank. Late C16/early C17,
with C18 and C20 alterations. Timber-framed, rusticated
stucco, early C19 refronting old tiled roof edged with Welsh
slates. Left hand bay of structure, beyond carriageway, now
included with No.25 (qv).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, plinth, plat band at first floor level. 4
first floor sash windows with glazing bars, flush-set with
exposed boxes. Carriageway on left of ground floor, mid C20
ground floor window with glazing bars, entrance on right up 4
stone steps; 8 fielded panelled door, with rectangular
fanlight, moulded architrave surround with consoles and open
pediment above. Long rear outshoot, timber-framed, masonry
lined stucco over brick (east), plaster moulded bressumer
above first floor windows, and moulded eaves cornice (west).
Beyond is barn, timber-framed with red brick ground floor,
weatherboarding above and old tiled roof.
INTERIOR of No.27 contains C17 panelling, some reset, on first
floor, and moulded early C18 wood cornices. Roof over front
block of clasped purlin construction with windbracing and
collars. The roof over the rear outshoot has purlins housed in
heavy section principal rafters curved near base, and
supported on a substantial plate which does not coincide with
the external wall.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the site has been identified with historic
inns of Ware. It adjoins, and may have been used at times, by
The George Inn. In 1599 it is recorded that The Horn Inn stood
next to The George Inn, and in C18 and C19 was known as The
White House Inn.
(Hunt EM: The History of Ware: Hertford: 1986-1946: 116;
Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or
historic interest: 1993-: 27; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by
the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-).
Listing NGR: TL3588114253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings