History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St George's Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Poole, Poole

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.7137 / 50°42'49"N

Longitude: -1.9885 / 1°59'18"W

OS Eastings: 400910

OS Northings: 90448

OS Grid: SZ009904

Mapcode National: GBR XQ4.CS

Mapcode Global: FRA 67Q6.35C

Plus Code: 9C2WP276+FJ

Entry Name: St George's Almshouses

Listing Date: 28 May 1974

Last Amended: 13 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 412457

Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH15

County: Poole

Electoral Ward/Division: Poole Town

Built-Up Area: Poole

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Poole St James with St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in



958-1/17/14 (South East side)
28/05/74 St George's Almshouses
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)


Priest's house, now almshouses. Early C15, almshouses since
1586 when bought by the Corporation, altered, partly in the
C17, restored 1904. Coursed, squared limestone rubble,
rendered plinth, 2 pairs of front brick lateral stacks,
right-hand return has a small lateral stack, and 2 gable
stacks, and a tiled roof with rear stone slate verges and
crested ridge tiles. Single-depth parallel plan with a SW rear
curved range.
Single storey; 6-window range. Rendered plinth, kneelers and
coped gables, with 2 near-central C17 brick chimney gables
with cornices and pairs of diagonally-set stacks. C17
chamfered ashlar surrounds to C20 three- and 2-light timber
mullion windows. 2 central gables, tile-hung above the ground
floor, with stacks with cornices, each with a pair of
diagonally-set square shafts with brick cornices. The
left-hand gable stack has a ceramic panel with arched cornice.
Right-hand return has a gable with right-hand window, and a
rear range curving E containing a rubble gable over a
segmental-arched doorway and with a square stack above.
INTERIOR: reported to be much altered, but retaining C15
trusses with tie beams, cambered collars and wind braces below
the upper of two registers of purlins.
HISTORICAL NOTE: reportedly built for the 4 priests saying
masses at the old Church of St James, and taken over by the
Corporation until the Poor Law Reforms. The foundation of the
Guild of St George was referred to in 1429. Formerly had a
timber projecting upper storey, removed in 1904, and hipped
eaves dormers to each side, small windows in the gables and
front entrances.
(RCHME: County of Dorset (South East): London: 1970-: 220;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Newman J: Dorset: London:
1972-: 328; Hillier J: A Portfolio of Old Poole: Poole: 1983-:

Listing NGR: SZ0091090448

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.