History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Markham Hall markham Hall Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in East Markham, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2482 / 53°14'53"N

Longitude: -0.8901 / 0°53'24"W

OS Eastings: 474157

OS Northings: 372931

OS Grid: SK741729

Mapcode National: GBR QZ7W.39

Mapcode Global: WHFGP.9MD6

Entry Name: Markham Hall markham Hall Cottage

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Last Amended: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1223681

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419457

Location: East Markham, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: East Markham

Built-Up Area: East Markham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: East Markham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Tuxford

Listing Text

SK 77 SW EAST MARKHAM HALL LANE
(east side)

5/19 Markham Hall and
Markham Hall
28.2.52 Cottage (Markham Hall
formerly listed 28.2.52 as
1.2.67 East Markham Hall, Church
Street - Markham Hall Cottage
formerly listed 1.2.67 as
Markham Cottage)


II

House incorporating cottage, formerly single house. Early C18,
refronted c.1770. Red brick with light headers, ashlar
dressings. Hipped slate roof. 2 outer red brick stacks and
single central quadripartite red brick stack. Moulded and
painted cornice with pediment topping the slightly projecting
central 3 bays. Set on a plinth. Two and a half storeys, 7 bays
with painted first floor sill band. Central doorway with painted
ashlar surround. Double panelled and part glazed door with
traceried fanlight. Flanked by single pilasters, each with
single slightly projecting rectangular panel, which support an
archivolt with fluted keystone. In the spandrels are single
paterae with open pediment over. Either side are 3 glazing bar
sashes all with flush wedge lintels and painted keystones. Above
single central glazing bar sash in painted shouldered architrave
with fluted keystone and segmental pediment. Either side are 3
similar sashes each with flush wedge lintel and painted keystone.
On the top floor is a single, central smaller similar sash with
painted eared architrave and keystone. Either side are 3 similar
sashes each with flush wedge lintel and painted keystone. The
road/west front has evidence of an earlier build, set on a rubble
plinth. To the right, set back, is a slightly projecting wing
and projecting from this is a large early C19 bow with 3 glazing
bar sashes. To the rear are two and a half, 2 and single storey
wings and extensions with a single central Venetian stair light.
Interior has panelled entrance hall with niche and fireplace.
Drawing room with C19 bow has Adam style decoration to walls and
ceiling. Purchased by the Kirke family 1681 and in Cartwright
possession 1780-1835.


Listing NGR: SK7415772931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.