This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6838 / 50°41'1"N
Longitude: -3.4621 / 3°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 296805
OS Northings: 88150
OS Grid: SX968881
Mapcode National: GBR P3.3DKF
Mapcode Global: FRA 37M8.K1T
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 3 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1224580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 420692
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX3
Electoral Ward/Division: Topsham
Built-Up Area: Topsham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Topsham St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9680 8815
871/8/10005 The Old Vicarage
Villa. Probably 1860's. Stuccoed with a gabled slate roof; stacks
with rendered shafts. Italianate. Plan: Approximately rectangular
double depth plan, the entrance elevation facing south west.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay south west front with a deep
eaves cornice carried on moulded brackets. The outer bays are under
pedimented gables, slightly broken forward with quoins with chamfered
rustication. Shallow projecting porch with a round-headed rusticated
doorway flanked by wide pilasters decorated with a sunk moulding.
Above the pilasters carved corbels support paired brackets below the
porch cornice. Probably original 6-panel front door below a plain
fanlight. Canted bay windows to left and right of the porch with
elaborately scrolled and carved brackets below the cornices;
segmental-arched windows glazed with plate glass 2-pane sashes.
Moulded stringcourse at first floor sill level. Above the porch a 2-
pane sash with an eared shouldered architrave. To left and right
paired round-headed sashes with moulded hoodmoulds with keystone and
bunches of fruit carved below the dripstone terminals. The 3-bay left
return (north west elevation) continues in the same style with
rusticated quoins, an eaves cornice with eaves brackets and a shallow
gabled projection to left of centre, the gabled pedimented. The left
hand ground floor window has a moulded architrave and moulded sill
brackets and is glazed with a 4-pane sash. The ground floor window
in the gabled projection has a moulded architrave; segmental head with
a keystone and moulded sill brackets. It is glazed with a C19 4-pane
sash with margin panes. To the right, a canted bay window matching
those on the south west front. First floor window right has a moulded
architrave and sill brackets; the first floor window in the projection
is round-headed with a moulded hoodmould, keystones and bunches of
fruit carved under the dripstone terminals. The window is glazed with
a 4-pane sash. First floor window right has a moulded shouldered
architrave with a keystone and is glazed with a 4-pane sash.
Interior: Interior and rear elevation not inspected. Interior known
to retain moulded cornices, ceiling roses, shutters, C19 style marble
chimney-pieces and a stair with turned balusters. The building was
called Parkfield House in 1878 and was lived in by Mr Thomas Charles
Tothill (White's Devonshire). It was in use as the Vicarage by 1935
Listing NGR: SX9680588150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings