This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7221 / 50°43'19"N
Longitude: -3.5304 / 3°31'49"W
OS Eastings: 292068
OS Northings: 92501
OS Grid: SX920925
Mapcode National: GBR P1.902C
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.GFW
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225195
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88934
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9292 NW 3/89 29.1.53.
SX 9292 SW 6/89
Built on site of Cathedral Cloisters. The front, facing Deanery Place, is of Heavitree
stone and is late C18, 7 windows, 3 storeys and basement. 3 window centre breaks
forward. Fluted cornice. Some glazing bars removed. The back, facing the Cathedral
was a market or almshouses in C17. It is a 2 storey plastered building with coved
cornice, 4 moulded posts carrying the upper storey still being visible. C18 sash
windows with flush frames to 1st floor. Below, the open market has been filled
in, probably circa 1840, and there are doors and windows of this date. Small grouted
slates to roof. Church House is now occupied by various offices in connection
with the Cathedral and the north part is a Verger's house.
All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9206292504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings