This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.28 / 51°16'47"N
Longitude: 0.5194 / 0°31'9"E
OS Eastings: 575808
OS Northings: 156440
OS Grid: TQ758564
Mapcode National: GBR PR1.L4Z
Mapcode Global: VHJMD.Y3G3
Entry Name: Officers Quarters, Maidstone Former Cavalry Barracks
Listing Date: 2 August 1974
Last Amended: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173470
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 7556 SE MAIDSTONE SANDLING ROAD
Maidstone, Former Cavalry
Officers' quarters and mess at cavalry barracks; disused, c1797 -98, by the Barrack Department; Localisation depot from 1874, Timber balloon frame clad in weather board with brick ridge stacks and rear extension, and slate hipped roof. PLAN: E-shaped plan in 3 sections with double-depth rooms openig each side off transverse stairs and rear services, EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 9-Window range. A symmetrical front divided into three sections, the middle one 3 storeys with a pediment, each with central doorways with good decorative iron overlights and panelled doors, and 6/6-pane sashes. Right-hand return has a deep canted bay to the mess room, Service bays run back at either end with a C19 brick extension at the right, and a central rear projection has a hipped roof. INTERIOR: not inspected, but reported to contain heated officers' rooms with shelving and boot racks, and dogleg stairs up from each entrance. HISTORY: formed the centrepiece to the cavalry barracks overlooking the square, flanked by the men's barracks which in 1806 held 450 men. The three sections contained the CO's quarters to the left, rooms for some 11 officers and their servants, with right-hand mess and ante rooms. The Department built the first army barracks in England for large numbers of cavalry , infantry , and militia during the French wars; most were dismantled afterwards. This is the only known example to have survived of a large timber barracks, and is the only cavalry officers' quarters from this highly significant period.
Listing NGR: TQ7580856440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings