History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage St Lawrence Well the Old Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ventnor, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5877 / 50°35'15"N

Longitude: -1.2367 / 1°14'12"W

OS Eastings: 454131

OS Northings: 76721

OS Grid: SZ541767

Mapcode National: GBR 9F9.05V

Mapcode Global: FRA 879J.21F

Entry Name: The Cottage St Lawrence Well the Old Cottage

Listing Date: 15 July 1976

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225494

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421889

Location: Ventnor, Isle of Wight, PO38

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Ventnor

Built-Up Area: Ventnor

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: St Lawrence St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Whitwell

Listing Text

UNDERCLIFF DRIVE
1.
5271
St Lawrence
The Cottage
St Lawrence Well
and The Old Cottage
SZ 57 NW 5/177
II*
2.
A large picturesque asymmetrical design with Gothic/Tudor detail. "The Old
Cottage", part of the former service wing to "The Cottage St Lawrence Well", is
probably the original C17 or C18 cottage altered initially and made subsidiary
to the new building as Sir Richard Worseley's marine residence in 1794. It is
at the east end of the main house, 2 storeys stone rubble with saddlestone gable
ends, shaped tiles to roof - gable over right hand part of garden front. 2 light
stone mullioned windows. Corbel brackets to weathered stone hood over Tudor arched
doorway. The main house "The Cottage St Lawrence Well", is of 1794, an early picturesqu
design with some slightly later alterations. 2 storeys, ashlar blocks with intervening
small stones. West entrance front has central 2 storey gabled porch, plain bargeboards,
the ground floor open octagonal stone piers supporting 1st floor. This has stone
mullioned oriel bay window with tiled pent roof. Flanking bays have 3 light marginal
glazed windows with drip moulds. Tiled roof, deep flat eaves, openwork bargeboards
to gable ends. The south garden front has 2 bargeboard gabled bays, that to left
hand with original canted bay - 2 light casements with purple tinted marginal glazing,
as door to centre ground floor; drip moulds over. Large 2 storey rectangular bay
to right hand with drip moulds over casements is a later, C19, addition. Lower
service wing, set back, links with "The Old Cottage". Interior: staircase behind
west entrance of simple open string continuous handrail type; in the 2 front rooms
flanking entrance, late C18 marble mantlepieces. The roof line of the main house
is punctuated by grouped chimneys some of Tudor pattern, shaped ridge tiles. From
the north side of the main house curves a tooled ashlar covered way with slate
roof, on plain iron columns and open to garden side, leading to tunnel vault passage
to drive. The elevation of the passage entrance to drive is flanked by capped
piers with round headed archway and scrolled wrought iron gates.


Listing NGR: SZ5413176721

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.