History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in King's Cliffe, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5621 / 52°33'43"N

Longitude: -0.515 / 0°30'54"W

OS Eastings: 500759

OS Northings: 297066

OS Grid: TL007970

Mapcode National: GBR FWW.8MK

Mapcode Global: WHGM9.2V0P

Entry Name: Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 12 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225654

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422100

Location: King's Cliffe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: King's Cliffe

Built-Up Area: King's Cliffe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: King's Cliffe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Collyweston

Listing Text

KINGS CLIFFE HALL YARD
TL0097 (East side)
12/109 Hall Farmhouse
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Hall Yard
Farmhouse)
GV II*
Farmhouse, now house. Late medieval, datestone 1603, late C18 and early and late
C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar and
Collyweston slate roof. Originally medieval hall house now courtyard plan with
barn, stables, flat and outbuildings attached to south of Hall Farmhouse (q.v.).
2 storeys. Entrance front, to Hall Yard, is an irregular 4-window range. Two
tall 6-panel unhorned sash windows to left have ashlar surrounds and stone
lintels with keyblocks. These windows serve the music room. Two 8-paned,
unhorned, sash windows to first floor left have similar surrounds, set under
eaves. Similar ground floor window to far left has a gauged stone head.
6-panelled door, to left of centre, has moulded stone surround and 4-centred
arch-head with date above door "Anno 1603". Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar
ridge and end stacks. Elevation to left of entrance front has central 6-panelled
door with plain stone surround. Flanking sash and casement windows under wood
lintels. Leaded cross window, to first floor left, gable to right. Garden front
t,o rear, is ashlar with a 2-window range of 8-paned sash windows, at first
floor, with moulded stone surrounds and keyblocks. 2 late C19 canted stone bay
windows at ground floor. Bay attached to left is C17 with a 4-light stone
mullion window to ground and first floor. Courtyard elevation, to rear of
entrance front, has 3 tall window openings now blocked. Elevation to right has
central 4-panelled door. Leaded cross window to right and 2 sash windows, one is
a stair window. Courtyard elevation, to rear of garden front, has a 2-light
stone mullion window, central projection with a leaded casement and lean-to
projection attached to left. Single-storey ashlar quadrant, with circular
window, to left, at intersection of ranges. Interior: dining room to left of
entrance occupies part of medieval hall. Mid C17 fireplace with eared
architrave, scroll decoration at sides, plain central panel and moulded frieze
and cornice. Horizontal wainscote dado. Early C19 doorcase with reeded
pilasters, to right of fireplace, leads to staircase hall. Early C19 staircase
with stick balustrades. C19 panelling, incorporates fragments of C18 fielded
panelling. Music room, at mezzanine level to right of entrance, was formed late
C18. Deeply coved ceiling decorated with plaster swags and intersecting circles,
with a guilloche border. Moulded wood fireplace surround has oval central scene.
Roof structure of former open hall retains upper sections of 2 snake blackened
trusses, with collars extending beyond the principals to support the purlins.
The hall was subdivided early C17 and a stack inserted. The house was occupied
by William Law, the C18 divine; 1744 to 176i. Hester Gibbon and Elizabeth
Hucheson also lived at the house during this tine, it was their intersion to
establish a household based on Laws book published in 1728, "A Serious call to a
Devout and Holy Life". On the death of Hester Gibbon in 1790 the house reverted
to the Law family who remodelled the entrance front at about this time. The
house remained in the Law family until late C19.
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p99)


Listing NGR: TL0075997066

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.