History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Stables of Petworth House the Stables of Petworth House, East Wing

A Grade II* Listed Building in Petworth, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9873 / 50°59'14"N

Longitude: -0.6105 / 0°36'37"W

OS Eastings: 497623

OS Northings: 121799

OS Grid: SU976217

Mapcode National: GBR FGL.2GD

Mapcode Global: FRA 96LH.RZ8

Entry Name: The Stables of Petworth House the Stables of Petworth House, East Wing

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 22 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423133

Location: Petworth, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

Civil Parish: Petworth

Built-Up Area: Petworth

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Petworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Petworth

Listing Text

SU 9721 PETWORTH PETWORTH HOUSE

29/386 The Stables of Petworth
House
22.2.55
II*


Stables. These form a courtyard which is the shape of a triangle. The west wing is
the original block. Early C18. Two storeys. Thirteen windows. West front coursed
stone, east front stone rubble. Modillion eaves cornice. The centre and the end
window-bays project slightly with long and short quoins and pediments over. Horsham
slab hipped roof. Round-headed arcading on ground floor with large lunette windows
in the heads of the arches. Segmental-headed sash windows above with glazing bars
intact but some of them dummies. High round-headed rusticated carriage archway in
the centre with keystone over. At the south end of the east front is a projection
which comprises coach-houses. The centre one is higher than the others with a
pediment over and a lunette window in the tympanum. On each side of this are three
lower coachhouses with segmental heads and double doors. The east wing is L-shaped
with a curve at its angle. This formed staff accommodation. The oldest portion is
probably the south-west wing which is early C19. The remainder is mid C19 and was
probably added by Anthony Salvin in 1869-1871. Two storeys. Fifteen windows.
Coursed stone, the first floor or the east wall of the south-west wing, facing Park
Road, red brick and grey headers. Tiled roof. Narrow sash windows without glazing
bars. The outer wall of the south-east angle facing Park Road is curved.
At the north end is a tall carriage archway at an angle to block with an octagonal
turret which connects the block with the west wing of the Stables.


Listing NGR: SU9762721812

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.