This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0837 / 51°5'1"N
Longitude: -0.6188 / 0°37'7"W
OS Eastings: 496843
OS Northings: 132508
OS Grid: SU968325
Mapcode National: GBR FF7.SHC
Mapcode Global: FRA 96L8.2RT
Plus Code: 9C3X39MJ+FF
Entry Name: Shillinglee Court shillinglee House
Listing Date: 2 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424069
Location: Plaistow, Chichester, West Sussex, GU8
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Plaistow
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Kirdford
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 93 SE PLAISTOW SHILLINGLEE ROAD
427/2/565 Shillinglee Court and Numbers
1, 2 and 3 Shillinglee House
Country house, now house and three flats. 1735 and 1770s; gutted by fire 1943; restored and converted 1976-7. T-shaped plan. North wing (now Shillinglee Court): 1735 for Edward Turnour by Thomas Steel, "Carpenter", of Chichester. Two storeys, originally with attic; seven bays. Red brick. Ashlar plinth, cill band, plat band, modillion cornice, pediment, rusticated quoins and tripartite keystones and springers to windows. Brick parapet, formerly taller and with blind attic windows, reduced in height 1976-7. Concealed roof. Symmetrical composition, the 3 central bays projecting under pediment which contains a rusticated semi-circular panel with the initials E.T. and date 1735. Central doorway with rusticated pilasters, tripartite keystone, segmental pediment and part-glazed door. Windows have 12-pane sashes, flat brick arches, brick apron panels on 1st floor and the central 1st-floor window has a segmental arch and console keystone. South wing (now nos 1, 2 and 3 Shillinglee House): added 1770s for Edward Turnour Garth, first Earl of Winterton. Two storeys, 7 bays. Red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar plinth, cill band, platt band, modillion cornice and blocking course, pediment and architraves. Hipped slate roof. Symmetrical composition, the central 3 bays projecting under pediment containing a round window encircled by a stone wreath. Venetian window in centre of 1st floor has iron railing and modillion brackets. Doorway below with engaged columns, side-lights flanked by pilasters and pediment, the whole approached by 5 wide steps with iron handrail. Other windows have 12-pane sashes and moulded architraves, those on ground floor with alternately segmental or triangular pediments. Graffiti to right of entrance: L(ad)y Lydia 1788. Interior: no 1 Shillinglee House retains fine late-C18 marble fireplace with engaged columns, central relief panel depicting Hercules with Virtue and Vice, rococo scrollwork to frieze and dentil cornice. Relief panel above, partly restored, has classical figures in modillion encircled by vine and with urns and scrollwork below. Two re-used original panelled double doors. There are records of alterations to Shillinglee House (probably the addition of the south wing) in 1771 and 1772, and an C18 downpipe on the south wing bore the date 1776 (Country Life, p146). Photographs showing the condition of the building at the time of the 1996-7 restoration are held by the owners of no 1, Shillinglee House. "Shillinglee Park", Country Life, 8 August 1936, pp 142 -147.
Listing NGR: SU9684332508
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings