History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

33-43, Islington

A Grade II Listed Building in Titchmarsh, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4067 / 52°24'24"N

Longitude: -0.5032 / 0°30'11"W

OS Eastings: 501918

OS Northings: 279794

OS Grid: TL019797

Mapcode National: GBR FYT.5L2

Mapcode Global: VHFNW.7RBX

Entry Name: 33-43, Islington

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 31 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424717

Location: Titchmarsh, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Titchmarsh

Built-Up Area: Titchmarsh

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Titchmarsh St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Thrapston

Listing Text

TL07NW
7/213
23/05/67


TITCHMARSH
ISLINGTON
(East side)
Nos.33 to 43 (odd)


(Formerly listed as almshouses 33 to 55)


GV II


8 almshouses, increased to 12 almshouses mid C19, now 6 almshouses. Datestone
1756, extended mid C19. Limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate roofs.
Originally one-unit plans. Single storey with attic, now mainly single storey.
8-window range of C20 casements, in original openings, under stone lintels with
keyblocks. 6-panel doors, between window ranges, under similar heads. 8 hipped
eaves dormers. Ashlar plinth and ashlar stacks at ridge. Mid C19 two-window
range extensions to either end; similar style with central 6-panel doors with
glazed toplights. Plaque in centre of main range has inscription, "This hospital
was erected and endowed for the support of eight poor persons by Mrs. Dorothy
Elizabeth Pickering, eldest daughter of the late Sir Gilbert Pickering Bart.
Anno Domini 1756". Plaque between 2-window range to far left has inscription
"This building an asylum for two Bedeswomen was erected AD MDCCCLVII by donation
of the late T. Coales Esq.". Plaque between 2-window range to far right has
inscription, "This building, an asylum for two Bedesmen was erected AD
MDCCCLXIII". Interiors of C18 range have stop-chamfered spine beams and some
2-panelled doors.


Listing NGR: TL0191879794

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.