History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Churton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1046 / 53°6'16"N

Longitude: -2.8719 / 2°52'18"W

OS Eastings: 341724

OS Northings: 356730

OS Grid: SJ417567

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.8JWN

Mapcode Global: WH88T.V7M9

Entry Name: Old School Cottage

Listing Date: 28 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402976

Location: Churton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Churton

Built-Up Area: Churton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Aldford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Farndon

Listing Text

SJ 45 NW CHURTON BY ALDFORD C.P. STANNAGE LANE
North Side

1/17 Old School Cottage

-

GV II

Schoolmaster's house, now a cottage, (attached to former school, now
the Mission Hall, q.v.), 1864, at expense of 2nd Marquis of
Westminster. Jacobethan, of squared snecked red sandstone with graded
grey slate roof. 1½ storeys, 2 windows, 2 rectangular diminishing
chimneys on ridge, with rendered stacks on moulded stone plinths.
Boarded door has rectangular 3-pane fanlight with label; to left is a
2-light 4-pane casement to each storey, the upper one in a gabled
half-dormer; to right is a slightly projecting cross-wing with a
4-pane 2-light casement under a label to each storey. In right end is
a boarded door with 2-light 4-pane casement left, 1-light 2-pane
casement right and 2-light 4-pane casement over doorway, all with
labels. The house and the former school were designed as a single
composition.
Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SJ4172456730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SJ 45 NW CHURTON BY ALDFORD C.P. STANNAGE LANE
North Side

1/17 Old School Cottage

-

GV II

Schoolmaster's house, now a cottage, (attached to former school, now
the Mission Hall, q.v.), 1864, at expense of 2nd Marquis of
Westminster. Jacobethan, of squared snecked red sandstone with graded
grey slate roof. 1½ storeys, 2 windows, 2 rectangular diminishing
chimneys on ridge, with rendered stacks on moulded stone plinths.
Boarded door has rectangular 3-pane fanlight with label; to left is a
2-light 4-pane casement to each storey, the upper one in a gabled
half-dormer; to right is a slightly projecting cross-wing with a
4-pane 2-light casement under a label to each storey. In right end is
a boarded door with 2-light 4-pane casement left, 1-light 2-pane
casement right and 2-light 4-pane casement over doorway, all with
labels. The house and the former school were designed as a single
composition.
Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SJ4172456730

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.