History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7828 / 51°46'58"N

Longitude: -1.2734 / 1°16'24"W

OS Eastings: 450218

OS Northings: 209601

OS Grid: SP502096

Mapcode National: GBR 7XD.2WB

Mapcode Global: VHCXM.WG44

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine

Listing Date: 21 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405007

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Wolvercote

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wolvercote

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Yarnton

Listing Text

OXFORD
SP50NW WOODSTOCK ROAD
612-0/24/10031 (East side)
No.322
Roman Catholic Church of St
Gregory and St Augustine
II
Private R.C. chapel. 1910-11, by Ernest Newton for Apsley Paddox, an adjacent house.
Rendered brick and Cumberland slate roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: Nave with gallery at west end over a narthex entered on the south side. Later in the
C20 a large extension, probably parish rooms, was built at the east end.
EXTERIOR: East gable-end has 4-light ground floor window and large 6-light gallery
window with segmental arch head with tile hoodmould and cill and with diamond shaped
brick ventilator and small stone cross on gable. 4-light north and south side windows. All
windows have leaded panes. On the west end of the south side porch with splayed ashlar
sides corbelled at top and supporting the canopy roof simple boarded double doors with
leaded lights. Wooden and lead-clad octagonal cupola on ridge near east end. Later C20
extension at east end.
INTERIOR: Remarkably complete with fine simple joinery. Plaster tunnel-vault ceiling
with moulded tie-beams and wall plate. Panelled and glazed screen under gallery at west end
with tall wooden balustrade above. At east end a baldachino with panels of Spanish leather
and carved wooden canopy. Wooden Communion rail and sedilia.
SOURCES: Newton, w.g., The work of Ernest Newton [1925]. Gray, A.S., Edwardian
Architecture, p.273. Buildings of England, p.332. Service, A., Edwardian Architecture, p.206.


Listing NGR: SP5021809601

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.