History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Alban

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tattenhall, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1222 / 53°7'19"N

Longitude: -2.7689 / 2°46'8"W

OS Eastings: 348639

OS Northings: 358611

OS Grid: SJ486586

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.7CX3

Mapcode Global: WH88P.FSPB

Entry Name: Church of St Alban

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405170

Location: Tattenhall and District, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Tattenhall and District

Built-Up Area: Tattenhall

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Tattenhall St Alban

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tattenhall

Listing Text

SJ 45 NE TATTENHALL C.P. CHURCH BANK

5/96 Church of St. Alban.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: core and tower early C16, restored and remodelled 1869-70 by
John Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, green slate roof. 4-bay nave,
5-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel, 3-stage west tower and south porch.
Timber-framed porch has 4-centred arched entrance and delicately
carved brackets, spandrels and barge boards. Aisle bays divided by
buttresses have broad 3-light windows with 3-centred heads. 5-light
Perpendicular style east window under label mould. Tower has diagonal
buttresses, cyma moulded west doorcase and a 3-light west window,
breaking a band of carved heads, with a crocketted ogee label mould,
flanked by pairs of initialled shields below, empty niches above.
Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and gargoyles support an
embattled parapet.
Interior: 4-bay arcades on octagonal piers has a low clerestorey with
3-light windows. Broad chancel arch on stiff-leaf corbels. Good
Victorian stone reredos and stained glass with window by Kempe in
south aisle of 1896. Fine brass chandelier dated 1755.

The tower closely resembles that at All Saints, Handley (q.v.) and
must be by the same mason.


Listing NGR: SJ4863958611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.