This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2691 / 51°16'8"N
Longitude: -1.09 / 1°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 463580
OS Northings: 152613
OS Grid: SU635526
Mapcode National: GBR B6H.78N
Mapcode Global: VHD08.2C3F
Plus Code: 9C3W7W95+MX
Entry Name: Ruins of Chapel of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 3 May 1949
Last Amended: 6 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1230507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137902
Location: Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG21
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Town: Basingstoke and Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Norden
Built-Up Area: Basingstoke
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Basingstoke
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 65 SW BASINGSTOKE CHAPEL HILL
2/2 Ruins of Chapel of the
(formerly listed as
Chapel of the Holy
1524. Associated with Lord Sandys (of the Vyna) in the time of Henry VIII, the
chapel was attached to the south side of the chancel of the Holy Ghost Chapel.
A rectangular plan of 4 bays, 3-sided apse and a hexagonal stair turret at the
south-west corner. What survives is the main part of the south and east walls,
and the Tower; the walling below the cills has gone and the whole is badly
weathered. Externally the fine ashlar has large openings, with 4 central arches
containing signs of cusping at the top of 3 light mullioned windows, thin edge
mouldings lie between large hollows. Between the openings are the remains of
canopied niches, with octagonal bosses, thin panels above a plain slender octa-
gonal attached shaft, this design is repeated at the corners of the stair turret,
which is otherwise plain, with some small plain windows beneath hood-moulds.
The south door, beneath a smaller window, has disappeared. The interior walling
is in red brickwork, English bond.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings