History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brick Kiln, Chimney, Drying Sheds, Boiler and Engine House at Bursledon Brickworks South Section

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sarisbury, Hampshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8857 / 50°53'8"N

Longitude: -1.2905 / 1°17'25"W

OS Eastings: 450004

OS Northings: 109819

OS Grid: SU500098

Mapcode National: GBR 886.JJG

Mapcode Global: FRA 865R.R1M

Entry Name: Brick Kiln, Chimney, Drying Sheds, Boiler and Engine House at Bursledon Brickworks South Section

Listing Date: 30 January 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409295

Location: Fareham, Hampshire, SO31

County: Hampshire

District: Fareham

Town: Fareham

Electoral Ward/Division: Sarisbury

Built-Up Area: Locks Heath/Warsash/Whiteley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Sarisbury St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Bursledon

Listing Text

COAL PARK LANE
LOWER SWANWICK
1.
5231 Brick Kiln, Chimney,
Drying Sheds, Boiler and
SU 4909 16 817/500 Engine House at Bursledon
II* Brickworks South Section l3+ickl+odie South Section
2.
1897 (Dated on chimney). All the buildings are of red brick with corrugated sheet roofs,
mostly iron.
Brick Kiln A Staffordshire type transverse arched continuous kiln with ten chambers.
The asbestos sheet roof on steel supports is a later addition.
Chimney Dated 1897. Strengthened with metal bands.
Drying Sheds Two storey brick drying sheds with slatted wooden floors supported on
cast-iron columns marked Lankester, Founder, Southampton. Roofs supported on wooden
trusses of wide span.
Boiler and Engine House Two steam boilers, one dating from 1897 now converted to an oil
tank and a more modern oil burning one. A steam engine for working the brick making
machinery is situated adjacent to the boilers. It is a horizontal engine by John Wood
of Wigan circa 1885 with modifications by Tangye of Birmingham circa 1907. The brick
production machinery comprises a vertical pugmill with brick extrusion and wirecutting
facility. It was made by Bennett and Sayer of Derby in circa 1890 and installed 1897.
A second mill was removed circa 1930. there are also various hoppers and an electric
brick hoist.
History This appears to be the last steam driven brickworks remaining in England. The
kiln appears to be the oldest remaining example of a Staffordshire type continuous kiln.


Listing NGR: SU5002009836

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.