This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4721 / 52°28'19"N
Longitude: -1.8879 / 1°53'16"W
OS Eastings: 407714
OS Northings: 286025
OS Grid: SP077860
Mapcode National: GBR 63C.2P
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.74B6
Plus Code: 9C4WF4C6+RV
Entry Name: The Market Tavern Public House
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1234220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409974
Location: Bordesley and Highgate, Birmingham, B5
Electoral Ward/Division: Nechells
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Martin-in-the-Bull-Ring
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 NE BIRMINGHAM MOSELEY STREET
997/7/10006 The Market Tavern public
Alternatively known as: THE DOG AND PARTRIDGE PUBLIC HOUSE, MOSELEY STREET
Public house. 1899-1900, with minor late C20 alterations. By Jones and Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Red brick with terracotta detailing (the terracotta thought to have been supplied by the Hathern Station Brick and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with coped gables. Brick axial stacks.
PLAN: Prominent corner site with main entrance (to public bar) at the angle of the 2 elevations, passage doorway to Moseley Street (left) and doorways to outdoor sales, hall and rear smoke room to Birchall Street (right). Eclectic style with Flemish and Art Nouveau detailing. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 1:1:1:1 bays to Moseley Street and 1:2 bays to Birchall Street, each elevation with steeply-pitched gables to slightly advanced bays, and with canted corner with louvred octagonal cupola above an angled oriel above a semi-circular arch-headed doorway. Terracotta-faced ground floors to left and right elevations have segmental arch-headed windows and semi-circular arch headed doorways with raised voussoirs and pilaster shafts between, and fascia and dentilled cornice above. Ground floor windows have leaded panes and stained glass. Gabled bays break forward with 3-light windows to first floor, the entablatures with arabesques and a cartouche in semi-circular pediments; narrow semi-window pedimented window between and large lunette in the gables above with raised voussoirs. Above, a pilaster extends from each key block through the gable to a finial above. Below each lunette is a strapwork apron.
INTERIOR: Minton tiled interior with frieze in public bar, passages, smoke room and stairs. Public bar has contemporary bar and arcaded bar-back with balustrade and clocks above, and mirrored panels behind. Entrance lobby to public bar, which has ceiling lined in Lincrusta paper. Smoke-room has contemporary fireplace, and decorative glass in rear window. Staircase with moulded balusters and ornate newels. First and second floors refurbished following fire damage in 1984.The building was known as the Dog and Partridge Public House from 1829 to 1984. A well-detailed and prominently sited example of an imposing turn-of-the-century Birmingham public house by an important local architectural practice specialising in public house design. Source: A Crawford, M Dunn, R Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 112-13.
Listing NGR: SP0771486025
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings