History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1436 / 53°8'37"N

Longitude: -1.2651 / 1°15'54"W

OS Eastings: 449254

OS Northings: 360972

OS Grid: SK492609

Mapcode National: GBR 7CR.YTB

Mapcode Global: WHDFY.J7SV

Plus Code: 9C5W4PVM+FX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 12 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234873

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410944

Location: Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Ashfield

Town: Ashfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Skegby

Built-Up Area: Sutton in Ashfield

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Skegby

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Teversal

Listing Text

SK 46 SE SKEGBY MANSFIELD ROAD
(north side)
1/51 Church of
St. Andrew
II
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored, porch, aisles and vestry
added 1870. Chancel rebuilt 1984. Coursed and squared rubble
and dressed stone with lead and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings,
chamfered plinth, moulded eaves, coped gables with crosses.
Single gable stack with gabled cap. West tower, nave with
clerestorey, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south
porch. Unbuttressed west tower, 2 stages, has chamfered string
course, eaves band and coped parapet with remains of 8 pinnacles.
First stage has round headed window to south and to west, C19
double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. Second stage has 4
round headed double openings. Clerestorey has moulded band and
eaves with gargoyles, and coped parapet. On each side, 6 double
chamfered lancets. North aisle, 3 bays, has clasping buttress to
west. West end has C13 style double lancet with geometrical
tracery, hood mould and stops. North side has 3 groups of 3
single lancets. South aisle, 3 bays, has gabled corner buttress
to east and clasping buttress to west. East end has geometrical
double lancet with hood mould and stops. West end has a similar
lancet. To right of south porch, 2 groups of 3 single lancets.
Chancel east end has early C15 transomed ogee headed double
lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South side, 2 bays,
has doorway and to right, plain double lancet in square headed
reveal. Gabled vestry has a buttress at north west corner.
North side, 2 bays, has a single lancet and to its right, double
lancet. East end has round window containing 4 quatrefoils.
Gabled south porch has 2 clasping buttresses and keel moulded
doorway with shafts and hood mould with mask stops. Nave west
end has string course and door with segmental head. North
arcade, C13, 3 bays, has round piers with moulded bases, capitals
and imposts. Arches double chamfered and rebated. South arcade,
C14, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and responds with moulded
capitals, that to east with ball decorations. 2 chamfered
arches. Western arch chamfered and rebated. North and south
aisles have lean-to roofs. North aisle east end has chamfered
archway with C20 screen. South aisle east end has memorial
stained glass c.1921. South side has C13 piscina on mask corbel
and 2 windows with stained glass roundels. West end has stained
glass memorial window, 1928. Chancel has chamfered round arch,
1870. North side has organ opening with C20 screen. To its right,
late C14 double lancet with square headed reveal. East end has
stained glass window by Kempe. South side has aumbry with C20
door. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and ashlar pieces.
Fittings include semi-circular arcaded ashlar pulpit and
octagonal font on moulded base, C19. C20 oak lectern. C19
benches with shaped ends. Mid C20 stalls and desks. Early C18
communion table with turned legs and C18 panel back armchair.
Memorials include several incised cross slabs set into walls.
Small figure of Priest with Latin inscription. Full size male
and female effigies, c.1300, the man in the dress of a forester.
Classical wall tablets 1768, 1797, 1804. Brasses 1719, 1800,
1915. Benefactions boards 1737 and 1851.


Listing NGR: SK4925460972

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.