This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0121 / 53°0'43"N
Longitude: -1.1574 / 1°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 456630
OS Northings: 346423
OS Grid: SK566464
Mapcode National: GBR LM0.JC
Mapcode Global: WHDGL.6K35
Entry Name: Emmanuel Church
Listing Date: 27 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425239
Location: Bestwood St. Albans, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG5
Civil Parish: Bestwood St. Albans
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bestwood Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
BESTWOOD ST. ALBANS WOODCHURCH ROAD
SK 54 NE
4/16 Emmanuel Church
Parish church. 1868. Designed by S. S. Teulon and paid for by
the 10th Duke of St. Albans. Rockfaced and plain ashlar with
gabled, hipped and conical slate roofs. C13 French Gothic style.
Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth and moulded sill band.
Windows are chamfered lancets with polychrome heads. West porch,
nave and apsidal chancel under continuous roof, pulpit turret,
south porch. West end has central porch with coped gable with
cross and slab roof. Moulded pointed opening with round shafts.
Interior has stone seat and 3 bay arcade with central memorial
panel to Sybil,Duchess of St. Albans, c.1873. Flanked by single
lancets. Vaulted roof. Beyond, single lancets. Above, central
round window, and above it, a trefoil. Above again, west gable
has shouldered gabled bell turret with cross. Nave, 4 bays, has
on each side 2 paired lancets flanked by single lancets. South
side has, to east, 2 buttresses. Chancel apse has 5 lancets and
finial cross. Vestry west gable has pointed door. To east,
double shouldered lancet. To west, pulpit turret with 3 lancets
and conical roof. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and
chamfered doorway. Coped gable with dove in roundel. On each
side, 2 lancets. Interior has common rafter roof and chamfered
doorway. Aisleless nave has painted dado and window heads.
Scissor braced matchboarded roof. West end has central recess
-with 2 memorial windows. Above, marble portrait plaque and
memorial window, all to Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1873. The
plaque is by H.R.H. Princess Louise. Chancel has arch on foliate
corbels. Arched organ opening to left. Blind arcaded dado,
1898, and moulded sill band. Ribbed domed apse. Stencilled
decoration throughout. 5 stained glass memorial windows to
designs by Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1870, executed by Morris
& Co., 1911. Fittings include octaqonal ashlar font, pierced
matching pulpit and cross frame benches. Pierced stalls and
desks. Memorial lectern, 1885. Memorials include brass and
tile, Cl9. Bordered bronze War Memorial plaque, 1918. C20 brass
and wooden panel.
Listing NGR: SK5663046423
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings