This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0579 / 52°3'28"N
Longitude: 1.1561 / 1°9'21"E
OS Eastings: 616462
OS Northings: 244644
OS Grid: TM164446
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.YYC
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.0J0S
Entry Name: Great White Horse Hotel
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426649
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 TAVERN STREET
(Great White Horse Hotel)
TM 1644 NW 1/212 19.12.51.
Originally a C16-C17 timber-framed building refronted in the early C19. It
was made famous as the inn in Dicken's "Pickwick Papers". The present front
is of grey gault brick with a parapet and a rusticated stucco ground storey.
3 storeys. 7 window range on the Tavern Street front and 2 window range
on the Northgate Street front. A 3 storey wing of 5 window range extends
north with a further, later, 2 storeyed wing of 7 window range at the north
end in Northgate Street. All windows are double-hung sashes with glazing
bars, in painted reveals, with stuccoed flat arches. The ground storey has
stucco doorway with wide panelled pilasters, Ionic plain columns in antis
and a cornice on paired brackets with a figure of a white horse above. Roofs
slate. Part of the original internal courtyard has been glazed over and
pant of it has been preserved in the present lounge. It has some original
windows, double-hung sashes with glazing bars and small panes, one oriel
bay window and some exposed timber-framing.
Nos 31 to 41 (odd) and No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) form a group.
Also No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) forms a group with all the listed
buildings in Northgate Street, except Garden Wall to No 9.
Listing NGR: TM1646244644
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings