History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monk House old School House salters Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Bramshott and Liphook, Hampshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0912 / 51°5'28"N

Longitude: -0.7979 / 0°47'52"W

OS Eastings: 484284

OS Northings: 133114

OS Grid: SU842331

Mapcode National: GBR DCN.H2Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 9667.JZK

Plus Code: 9C3X36R2+FR

Entry Name: Monk House old School House salters Cottage

Listing Date: 25 August 1983

Last Amended: 11 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143118

Location: Bramshott and Liphook, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU30

County: Hampshire

Civil Parish: Bramshott and Liphook

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Bramshott and Liphook St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in


SU 83 SW
Old School House, Salters
25.8.83 cottage and Monk House
(formerly Bramshott School)

Former school and master's house, now three dwellings. C17, mid C19, c.1900, with
late C20 restoration and modification. Walls of rubble sandstone, with some brick
dressings, small areas of painted brickwork, render, and tile-hanging. Tile roof.
A building of 3 phases: a timber-framed house, mostly reclad, with a western addi-
tion of a school building of 1831, and an eastward extension of c.1900. South
elevation: a tall single-storeyed symmetrical front to the school building, with
projected centre, of 1.1.1 windows, with 2 dormers now inserted, the window
openings have chamfered reveals and Gothic hoodmoulds, and there is a small opening
in the gable, which has kneelers; C20 casements. The middle section is one storey
and attic (east side 2 storeys), 4 windows, 3 hoodmoulds (1 above a former doorway),
casements. The east end is 2 storeys with projections front (c.1900) and rear (mid
c19), with tile-hung 1st floor for the most part, casements. All the doorways are
C20. A plaque in the west gable (of the school) is inscribed 1843: part of the
north wall (in the middle section) has exposed framing. The central section was
once the Bell Inn.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.