This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8027 / 53°48'9"N
Longitude: -2.2948 / 2°17'41"W
OS Eastings: 380682
OS Northings: 434089
OS Grid: SD806340
Mapcode National: GBR DSDG.ZK
Mapcode Global: WH96R.QPF3
Plus Code: 9C5VRP34+33
Entry Name: Gawthorpe Hall and Surrounding Balustrade
Listing Date: 1 April 1953
Last Amended: 12 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414847
Location: Ightenhill, Burnley, Lancashire, BB12
Civil Parish: Ightenhill
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley West All Saints St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 83 SW IGHTENHILL GAWTHORPE
4/15 Gawthorpe Hall and surrounding
balustrade (formally listed
1.4.1953 as Gawthorpe Hall and
GV Great Barn)
Country house, 1600-1605, for Rev. Lawrence Shuttleworth, possibly to plans influenced by Robert Smythson; altered c.1850-60 by Sir Charles Barry for Sir James Kay-Shuttleworth; now museum. Coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings. This house is the only example in this county of the late Elizabethan type associated with Smythson (e.g. Wollaton, Hardwicke, Bolsover, Worksop). Relevant features of the building are: the compact plan within a rectangle, surrounding a tower (which is off-centre and possibly of medieval origin); the high 3-storey elevations over a basement kitchen (basement exposed at rear making 4 storeys) with the tower rising above; the symmetrical 5-bay facade composed of full-height porch and flanking semi-octagonal bays; and the internal plan placing the great hall not in the centre but to one side. Original interior features of particular interest are the screen and gallery in the hall, the panelling and plaster work in the dining room (now drawing room), overmantels in two 1st floor chambers, and the long gallery on the 2nd floor. (For full information and other references see: VCH Lancs; Country Life 10 May 1913; Shuttleworth Accounts 4 vols Transactions of the Chetham Society, 1856; Mark Girouard Robert Smythson and the Elizabethan Country House (2nd edn,1983, pp.191-2); D.R. Buttress Gawthorpe Hall, National Trust 1979; and Pevsner's North Lancashire.) Included in the item is the surrounding C19 balustrade c.2 metres from the walls of the house which is of stone in Jacobean style openwork, with obelisk finials on the pedestals.
Listing NGR: SD8068234089
This listing was enhanced in 2016 to mark the bicentenary of Charlotte Bronte’s birth.
In the 1850s, the owner of Gawthorpe Hall, Sir James Kay-Shuttleworth, befriended Charlotte Bronte (1816-1855), introducing her to Elizabeth Gaskell, her fellow novelist and future biographer. It is thought that a chill caught whilst walking at Gawthorpe contributed to Charlotte’s death in 1855.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings